View Single Post
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:28 PM

Default Running Install files from DVD?

Hi all,

As my first post to these here fora, I'd like to say thanks to Wrox and everybody else for offering this service - much appreciated!!

OK, now down to the nitty gritty. I am responsible for the preparing and replicating of an insane number of DVDs (23 masters and a total of 1,300 duplicates). These DVDs contain the install and information files for an application used within my group. Up until now, I've been using a program called CD Autorun Creator to automatically open a form when the user puts the DVD into the drive, and the form has a series of buttons that will install the particular file the user has selected. My problem is that CD Autorun Creator sucks, and I can only use it on the one PC we have it installed on, which of course I cannot access remotely. This makes it difficult when I'm trying to work on this stuff from home.

So I came up with the brilliant idea to use Visual Basic 2005 for the development of the form. In doing some testing, I have finally figured out how to use relative paths (yeah for me!) but when I burn everything to a CD, I get an error saying that the installation file cannot be found (even though it is definitely on the disc).

This works fine when running on my local machine (changed the path):
Code:
Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        My.Computer.FileSystem.CurrentDirectory = "c:\documents and_ 
        settings\currentuser\desktop\"
        Shell(My.Computer.FileSystem.CurrentDirectory _      
        & "\Setup.exe", , , )
    End Sub
End Class
This is, in theory, what I want:
Code:

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        System.IO.Directory.GetCurrentDirectory()
        Shell(My.Computer.FileSystem.CurrentDirectory _  
        & "\Setup.exe", , , )
    End Sub
End Class
Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, I need to make sure that A) this will work on machines that do not have the .NET Framework and B) If I can avoid installing the application I'm building, but run it right off the DVD, that would be preferable. I know I'll need to write the Autorun.ini file to start the application, I just don't want the users to have to install the application I'm working on.
Really appreciate any ideas.
Thanks in advance!!
Chris