Thread: Survey Engine
View Single Post
Old March 2nd, 2008, 03:07 PM

Default Survey Engine

Hello. In chapter 4 Survey Engine I found this code. Procedure SaveResponses() writes user responses to the database. I can't understand how does it correlate with N-tier design where Data Access Level is completely independent from Application Level. What I mean.
Code:
Dim mform As HttpContext = HttpContext.Current
Dim QuestionIDs As Collection = GetQuestionIDsForSurvey(mform.Request.QueryString("surveyID"))
How this code is supposed to work if we move from website to Windows Application for example?

Code:

Public Shared Function SaveResponses() As Boolean

Using mConnection As New SqlConnection(Config.ConnectionString)

' get the request context...(we can access the values from the form 
            'that the user last posted from here!)
            Dim mform As HttpContext = HttpContext.Current

'get the list of questions from the db
            Dim QuestionIDs As Collection = GetQuestionIDsForSurvey(mform.Request.QueryString("surveyID"))

'iterate through each of the question ID's and add the appropriate response
            'to the responses table
            For i As Integer = 0 To QuestionIDs.Count - 1

'ensure the user selected one of the option buttons for this specific question ID
                If mform.Request.Form.Item("Q" & QuestionIDs(i + 1).ToString()) <> "" Then

'Create a command object
                    Dim mCommand As SqlCommand = New SqlCommand("sprocResponseInsertItem", mConnection)

'set it to the type of 'stored procedure'
                    mCommand.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure

'add in two parameters: the question ID and the choice of the user (A,B,C,or D)
                    mCommand.Parameters.AddWithValue("@questionID", QuestionIDs(i + 1).ToString())
                    mCommand.Parameters.AddWithValue("@selection", mform.Request.Form.Item("Q" & QuestionIDs(i + 1).ToString()))

'open the connection and execute the stored procedure
                    mConnection.Open()
                    mCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()

'close the connection and dispose of the command
                    mConnection.Close()
                    mCommand.Dispose()

End If
            Next

Return True

End Using

End Function