View Single Post
Old August 5th, 2003, 03:22 PM

Thanks for your post, jbergman. I appreciate your interest.

I think that the Problem, Design, Solution concept is an excellent approach. My main complaint is that while I learned a great deal about advanced concepts such as using XSL transformations and creating base classes for the presentation, business and data tiers, I had to supplement this book with other reference material to even come close to understanding the underlying concepts of the technology that was being presented.

Even the Professional series takes the fact that a technology presented may be new to the reader and attemtps to provide a quick primer. While I understand that the Beginning series is designed to hold you by the hand, the Professional series makes few assumptions (granted, these Professional books are usually twice the length of this particular book, but for $59.99, I'd expect a more thorough explanation of these cutting edge concepts, many of which I guarantee have a limited implementation base).

There is no doubt that the authors are quite competent, but this book just seems out of place. It is definetely not a Beginning book, and it is not a Professional book either. It seems to be more of a journal for very advanced OO programmers, much as a medical journal might be for a neural surgeon. And don't get me wrong, maybe this is the exact target audience for the series and I am just out of my element, however I must say that I have been much more succesful studying the IBuySpy Portal SDK-- going it all alone.

What I do hope is that Wiley will elevate the editorial standards for the books to what Wrox once had as you publish under the Wrox brand. This book, like many other Wrox books of late has that "thrown together at the last minute" feel. Copy and paste some code here and there, add some description to it, cite references to various classes in the Framework and you've got a chapter.