View Single Post
Old September 16th, 2003, 09:52 AM

Thanks for your reply. netscape.com seems like a good place to look for this, since Netscape's compatibility is likely the issue here, rather than any fault with Javascript. However, I haven't found anything there yet.

The Javascript specification for the "alert()" function is that it activates a MODAL message box. To disregard this is to ignore the compatibility between browsers that the spec exists to provide. For Netscape to knowingly implement alert() as a modeless is unlikely. I suspect that it usually works correctly, but possibly there is a seemingly unrelated setting in Netscape that somehow causes this, and hopefully someone will share this here.

The purpose of alert() IS to halt the script, while the user is "alerted" to something. This is the definition of a modal message box. That is what it is there for, and there is no sense in hacking a "fix" that works for an aberrent browser, or a browser with goofy settings, but then causes trouble and irritation for the user with all other browsers.

The purpose of the "do nothing" script is to test the alert() function and the changing of background colors on different browsers, so that I can make a product that will work properly for any customer regardless what browser they use. What a radical concept! This is supposed to be standard operating procedure for all this web stuff, but unfortunately compatibility is often not achieved. Since it revealed this simple misfunction, then it clearly "did something".

Somewhere, someone knows the answer to this. And I am hoping they will find this and help.

Thanks.