View Single Post

Old November 17th, 2003, 03:46 PM

I bought this book because I felt that it was a "complete" solution for developing web applications. After reading it, I also felt that is was a bit complex and did not always make things clear.

Here are some of the things I would like to see in a future version of this book:

- change the target audience for the book. I think this is a great book that beginners should be able to use as well as advanced developers.
- break the solution up like a company with several applications might. For example, most companies will have business logic that is common throughout all applications as well as business logic that is specific to one application. Also, most companies will take the time to build a library of components and possible an ASP framework for all applications. One like the MVC (Model View Controller) framework comes to mind.
- use of MS patterns such as the "Data Access Application Blocks".
- creation of unit testing code (ie. NUnit)
- Implementation of Log4Net for logging.
- better separation of source. I like the DAL, BLL concepts that MS has used in the PetShop application.
- use of command line build tools such as NAnt and Want
- a complete Win32 application that uses the same business and data tiers. Possibly tie this application or portions of it into the framework using .NET Remoting.
- implement some of the other users suggestions such as:
- supply code by chapter
- Forgot My Password
- Pop-up delete confirmation
- better explanation of namespace hierarchy

As you can see, What I am looking for is a book that offers a more complete development cycle approach. I am tired of having to purchase 3-5 books everytime a new language is born and then trying to piece the bit of information from each book into one application. This is very a very daunting task to take on while learning a new language. I can completely understand to need to purchase complementary books to delve into more complex topics such as remoting, COM or the C# language.

Kevin