View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Authorized User

Just to rephrase a bit. If you need to run to the local grocery store to pick up a few things for dinner, hop in your car, bike or jog over. If you need to move a few million cubic yards of ore, the car isn't going to cut it. Building a railway, buying an engine and cars and then hiring the staff to run the works and maintain the track can't be justified for picking up groceries from the corner store, but it sure beats using automobiles for moving ore.

DAO remains the fastest way to get data from an Access database. You need only time it to see. It also has the most complete set of methods and properties for working with Access objects.

While I haven't read Balter's book, I have read several others so I don't know what she says about entire tables being pulled over a LAN. I suggest that if you have dial up networking access to a server, you run a few queries pulling entire tables and single records from the same table limited by a where clause on an indexed field. Check the bytes transferred before and after opening the queries. I am sure you can try some LAN monitoring utilities and I believe that even the Net Use command has parameters to check traffic (though my testing has been limited to dial up networking monitoring). Also ask yourself why indexes improve performance with Access databases. I've posted a few comments in the past month about traffic and indexes and will not repeat them here.

I'll repeat my comment about terminal services. All the processing takes place on the server, and the drive can be on the same bus connected to the RAM, just like SQL Server, but without the overhead of SQL Server and the same applies to Access on an ASP server. I've successfully run Access 97 on a 386 DX with 16 megabytes of RAM and Windows 95. Try running SQL Server on that. On a decent machine, Access will already be delivering data to the user while SQL Server is still loading (takes a while for those boilers to build up steam you know).

And newer isn't necessarily better. Access 97 remains faster than 2000, XP and 2003 while using fewer resources. If you're not a government, use the technology that fits the need. I've done my own research, counted bytes transferred, tested file sizes when indexes are added and removed and timed things with the queryperformancetimer (doesn't measure queries as implied by the name) or timeGetTime API timers. I read books as a theoretical guide but draw my own conclusions from real environments.

Ciao
J├╝rgen Welz
Edmonton AB Canada
jwelz@hotmail.com