View Single Post
Old April 12th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,038, Level: 100 Points: 72,038, Level: 100 Points: 72,038, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi Ron,

I am glad you appreciate my posts.

If you're using W3C logging, it makes sense you're seeing odd times, as it uses Greenwich Mean Time be default. I am not sure, but I think this is done so you can compare logs located at different servers in different timezones. 4 o'clock is 4 o'clock then.

What you could do is setup Sessions using a separate StateServer (easy to configure in the Web.Config file) and then just use a few test variables. Set on in Session_Start and see how it behaves throughout your application. If it works, you can then start using it for other purposes as well. This way, you can keep working with your work-around while testing the reliability of Session variables.
Personally, I haven't ever noticed the behavior you describe, although I do use Sessions here and there.

The fact you're not seeing each and every log is quite possible. If the page is cached by the browser and / or an intermediate proxy / caching server, it's quite possible the page doesn't show up in your logs. If you test out stuff like this, always use Ctrl+Refresh in IE to force a fresh page from the server.

Cheers,

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
While typing this post, I was listening to: Girl You Have No Faith In Medicine by The White Stripes (Track 13 from the album: Elephant)