View Single Post
Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:11 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

It depends a bit on your setup and situation. It it's a one time operation, you could ask the admin of your system to restore a database backup or to attach a copy of a (design-time) database.

If you have a public SQL Server, you can use DTS to synchronize your development database and the live server.

But if all you can do is change the database with SQL statements remotely, ASP is as good a solution as anything else.

Personally, I would try to keep "live changes" to a minimum. Sooner or later your database schemas will get out of sync and you'll run into problems. Is there no way to manage your server "properly"? That is, with tools like the Enterprise Manager?
Although it's a .NET solution, you could take a look at the Web Data Administrator. According to Microsoft, this tool " enables you to easily manage your SQL Server data wherever you are". I used it a couple of times, and it looks pretty good (it looks similar to the EM of SQL Server, but it's Web based).

Cheers,

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
While typing this post, I was listening to: Undertow by Tool (Track 7 from the album: Undertow)