View Single Post
Old April 25th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

It's not difficult and involved to implement if you're allowed to install a custom DLL on the server. There is no need to install anything on the client; the browser already support this by knowing how to deal with an <input type="file" /> form field. The Dundas control is, IMO, about as good as the ASPUpload control but it's free. If your ISP doesn't allow registering custom components, ask them if they already have another component available. Many ASP hosting sites do offer this functionality.

Microsoft also has an upload control that is installed on the server by default. It's called the "Microsoft Posting Acceptor", is buggy as hell and I would certainly not recommend it. However, if you can't install anything on the server, it may be a good alternative.

The final solution is to read this: http://www.lewismoten.com/CodeLibrary/Browse/ASP/[All]/1.htm It provides code to allow a server side upload without any COM component.

If all this doesn't help, you should either change hosts, become an IBM book expert, or ask your users to send the file by e-mail ;)

Hope this helps,

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
While typing this post, I was listening to: The State We're In by The Chemical Brothers (Track 7 from the album: Come With Us)