I have experienced the same problems. I can't believe that the authors
of many of the Wrox textbooks have actually tested their code. If they
had I am sure they would have received the same results.
I did develop a work around, but it code work in a IE5.5 browser
installed on the same machine as the webserver (NT40 sp6/IIS40).
When I attempted to call the page from another PC on the same
intranet which had IE40 as the web client the page failed to
load. IE40 complained that there was a VBSCript error. IE5.5
had worked okay.
Moreover, when I tested the same code on my Win2000 Pro, PWS98
box at home it again failed. The OBJECT was not instantiated.
I don't know the cause of the problem. But is it is probably
a conglomeration of many different causes.
I hope this helps you understand the sample CODE does not work