p2p.wrox.com Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.


  Return to Index  

beginning_php thread: Is PHP better than asp


Message #1 by iam@r... on Fri, 8 Feb 2002 11:28:46
I am putting together a dissertation on php v?s asp.

I was hoping you could share some of your expertise please, and answer a 

few of the following questions. Please note that this is purely for my own 

project to achieve my degree. The answers you give me will only be used in 

my dissertation.



When considering a server-side scripting language, what would you consider 

the main points you look for. Obviously cost is a major consideration but 

it isn?t scientific enough for my dissertation. I?d like to compare what 

the respected codes can do



What can one language do that the other cant?



What can one language do more efficiently than the other?



What features does one language have over the other?



I basically need to get together some strong arguments that can be put 

together.

I need to be able to compare the language like for like and work out which 

one has more advantages over the other in a constructive manor.



I want to do really well and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can happily send you my final report if you would like.



Thanking you in anticipation





Richard Philp



Suffolk

UK



Message #2 by "sneax" <sneaker@p...> on Fri, 8 Feb 2002 12:46:28 +0100
Well



I learned PHP because well

- it's much easyer to use then Perl and cgi scripts

- it's so damn easy to learn

- you got lotsof features

- most programs like phpbb and others are written in PHP which makes it easy

for me to modifie them to my needs

- it's free :)

- most supported by webhosts



that's it i think

not realy helpfull in a scientific way, but it may help :)



greetz, Thomas :)

----- Original Message -----

From: <iam@r...>

To: "beginning php" <beginning_php@p...>

Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 11:28 AM

Subject: [beginning_php] Is PHP better than asp





> I am putting together a dissertation on php v's asp.

> I was hoping you could share some of your expertise please, and answer a

> few of the following questions. Please note that this is purely for my own

> project to achieve my degree. The answers you give me will only be used in

> my dissertation.

>

> When considering a server-side scripting language, what would you consider

> the main points you look for. Obviously cost is a major consideration but

> it isn't scientific enough for my dissertation. I'd like to compare what

> the respected codes can do

>

> What can one language do that the other cant?

>

> What can one language do more efficiently than the other?

>

> What features does one language have over the other?

>

> I basically need to get together some strong arguments that can be put

> together.

> I need to be able to compare the language like for like and work out which

> one has more advantages over the other in a constructive manor.

>

> I want to do really well and any help would be greatly appreciated.

> I can happily send you my final report if you would like.

>

> Thanking you in anticipation

>

>

> Richard Philp

>

> Suffolk

> UK

>

>




$subst('Email.Unsub').

>



Message #3 by "Peter Simard" <peter@p...> on Fri, 08 Feb 2002 08:47:50 -0500

-PHP runs significantly faster than ASP, this is noticeable in larger web

 applications/sites.

-ASP is more Object Oriented than PHP in it's design, however, OOP can be

 implemented in PHP easily







Message #4 by =?iso-8859-1?q?tan=20chek=20seng?= <tcs_mmu@y...> on Sat, 9 Feb 2002 05:42:02 +0000 (GMT)
here is my opinion:

Personally, i think it is like a religious problems

when we are comparing between 2 languages, just like c

and c++.i choose php over asp simply bcoz i am from c

background.it is difficult for me to learn asp using

vbscript coz i cant get used with vb syntax. in

general,php is faster than asp but the impact is not

significant since both are scripting language.i am

looking forward to asp.net.hopefully php.net will be

released asap!



__________________________________________________

Do You Yahoo!?

Everything you'll ever need on one web page

from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts

http://uk.my.yahoo.com

Message #5 by "Laurie Tsakiris" <laurietsakiris@h...> on Fri, 8 Feb 2002 22:37:53 -0800
well said



----- Original Message -----

From: "tan chek seng" <tcs_mmu@y...>

To: "beginning php" <beginning_php@p...>

Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 9:42 PM

Subject: [beginning_php] Re: Is PHP better than asp





> here is my opinion:

> Personally, i think it is like a religious problems

> when we are comparing between 2 languages, just like c

> and c++.i choose php over asp simply bcoz i am from c

> background.it is difficult for me to learn asp using

> vbscript coz i cant get used with vb syntax. in

> general,php is faster than asp but the impact is not

> significant since both are scripting language.i am

> looking forward to asp.net.hopefully php.net will be

> released asap!

>

> __________________________________________________

> Do You Yahoo!?

> Everything you'll ever need on one web page

> from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts

> http://uk.my.yahoo.com

>




$subst('Email.Unsub').

>

Message #6 by "Deepak Kumar Vasudevan" <deepak@c...> on Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:40:59 +0530
Hi,



This question is subject to nice debate. Anyway there are a lot of things

that need to be considered for the efficiency and other issues where PHP can

be considered superior than ASP.



>>> Basically opensource and is available in same unique power and vigor in

almost all webservers. This is not the case with ASP. Not any thirdparty ASP

(chilisoft or iASP) can ever dream of competing with IIS-ASP.



>>>Zero licensing issues...



>>>Almost all available components or utilities in freeform level and with

full source code. No hassles with unknown binary components.



>>>There are a good number of positive trends in Programmatic aspect as

well. In ASP with file uploads in a form, there is a separate way to extract

other form elements. That is now being eliminated in PHP. The same form

elements can be meticuluously retrieved and handled by PHP along with file

uploads.



>>>Finer blend with certain webservers like Apache...



>>>Concepts like SAFE Mode at the scripting language level for use in shared

server systems without disturbing the server setup.



Deepak Kumar Vasudevan

Software Engineer

deepak@c...

http://www.cssolutionsinc.com/



> Subject: Is PHP better than asp

> From: iam@r...

> Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 11:28:46

> X-Message-Number: 3

>

> I am putting together a dissertation on php v's asp.

> I was hoping you could share some of your expertise please, and answer a

> few of the following questions. Please note that this is purely for my own

> project to achieve my degree. The answers you give me will only be used in

> my dissertation.

>

> When considering a server-side scripting language, what would you consider

> the main points you look for. Obviously cost is a major consideration but

> it isn't scientific enough for my dissertation. I'd like to compare what

> the respected codes can do

>

> What can one language do that the other cant?

>

> What can one language do more efficiently than the other?

>

> What features does one language have over the other?

>

> I basically need to get together some strong arguments that can be put

> together.

> I need to be able to compare the language like for like and work out which

> one has more advantages over the other in a constructive manor.

>

> I want to do really well and any help would be greatly appreciated.

> I can happily send you my final report if you would like.

>

> Thanking you in anticipation

>

>

> Richard Philp

>

> Suffolk

> UK

>






  Return to Index