p2p.wrox.com Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.


  Return to Index  

beginning_php thread: PHP and Oracle 8i


Message #1 by WH Micro <wh_micro@y...> on Thu, 12 Sep 2002 16:52:24 -0700 (PDT)
Hello:

I have looked at the faq and cant find the answer, all
I seem to find is the question, everywhere and no help
for stupid people like me.

I already installed php on a RH7.2 system with the
rpm. Everywhere I look says I have to  compile php
with oracle support. My question is: Since I have
oracle already installed is there a way to edit any
file like php.ini to enable oracle 8i support or do I
HAVE to compile a php in order to get it working?

Thanks in advance for your help.

=====
www.whmicro.com

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
http://news.yahoo.com
Message #2 by "Luis Morales" <luismorales@j...> on Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:30:47 -0400
To compile PHP whith oracle support you need install oracle in your server.

I suggest, install oracle admin edition 8.x and  setup the oracle
environment and them compile PHP with oracle support.

Best regards,

LM


----- Original Message -----
From: "WH Micro" <wh_micro@y...>
To: "beginning php" <beginning_php@p...>
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 7:52 PM
Subject: [beginning_php] PHP and Oracle 8i


> Hello:
>
> I have looked at the faq and cant find the answer, all
> I seem to find is the question, everywhere and no help
> for stupid people like me.
>
> I already installed php on a RH7.2 system with the
> rpm. Everywhere I look says I have to  compile php
> with oracle support. My question is: Since I have
> oracle already installed is there a way to edit any
> file like php.ini to enable oracle 8i support or do I
> HAVE to compile a php in order to get it working?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> =====
> www.whmicro.com
>
> __________________________________________________
> Do you Yahoo!?
> Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
> http://news.yahoo.com
>
>

Message #3 by WH Micro <wh_micro@y...> on Thu, 12 Sep 2002 18:12:28 -0700 (PDT)
You're saying I cannot have a separate box for Oracle
and one for my webserver?


--- Luis Morales <luismorales@j...> wrote:
> To compile PHP whith oracle support you need install
> oracle in your server.
> 
> I suggest, install oracle admin edition 8.x and 
> setup the oracle
> environment and them compile PHP with oracle
> support.
> 
> Best regards,
> 
> LM
> 
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "WH Micro" <wh_micro@y...>
> To: "beginning php" <beginning_php@p...>
> Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 7:52 PM
> Subject: [beginning_php] PHP and Oracle 8i
> 
> 
> > Hello:
> >
> > I have looked at the faq and cant find the answer,
> all
> > I seem to find is the question, everywhere and no
> help
> > for stupid people like me.
> >
> > I already installed php on a RH7.2 system with the
> > rpm. Everywhere I look says I have to  compile php
> > with oracle support. My question is: Since I have
> > oracle already installed is there a way to edit
> any
> > file like php.ini to enable oracle 8i support or
> do I
> > HAVE to compile a php in order to get it working?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help.
> >
> > =====
> > www.whmicro.com
> >
> > __________________________________________________
> > Do you Yahoo!?
> > Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
> > http://news.yahoo.com
> >
> >
> 
> 


=====
www.whmicro.com

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
http://news.yahoo.com
Message #4 by "Nikolai Devereaux" <yomama@u...> on Thu, 12 Sep 2002 18:42:16 -0700
> You're saying I cannot have a separate box for Oracle
> and one for my webserver?

No, not at all.  At least, I _HOPE_ he isn't saying that, because it's
wrong!

Oracle support in PHP is installed as an extension, just like cURL, XSLT,
and most appropriately, PostgreSQL.  All you need are the client libraries
for Oracle and a couple configure flags.

Configure PHP to include Oracle support, which means telling PHP where to
find the Oracle client libraries.  Then compile PHP.  I think that's all
there is to it.


hth,

nik



  Return to Index