p2p.wrox.com Forums

p2p.wrox.com Forums (http://p2p.wrox.com/index.php)
-   Access (http://p2p.wrox.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Vertical align in reports (http://p2p.wrox.com/showthread.php?t=10010)

janise March 3rd, 2004 04:29 AM

Vertical align in reports

Hello!

Is it possible to align text vertically in MS Access reports?

Thanks,
Janis

SerranoG March 3rd, 2004 09:23 AM

Yes, click the textbox or label, open its properties, and set its VERTICAL property to YES.

Unfortunately, the direction it goes is not what most people want. The word goes vertical from the first letter on TOP to the last letter on the BOTTOM. That is, when you read it, you have to tilt your head to the right and the bottom of the word is pointing left. That's fine if you put the vertical text on the rightmost side of your report, but most people want it on the left side with the first letter on the bottom and the last letter on the top. :(

Greg Serrano
Michigan Dept. of Environmental Quality, Air Quality Division

BethMoffitt March 3rd, 2004 09:46 AM

If you hold your shift key and click the boxes you want to align, then right click you will get a shortcut menu which you can then select Align > Left, Right, Top, Bottom, To Grid. You can also use the menubar options of Format > Align and the same choices.

Regarding rotating text, there are some add-ins available out there which will allow you to rotate text in just about any direction you choose.

Regards,

Beth M

janise March 3rd, 2004 10:07 AM

Thanks for the answer!

Yet that is not what I meant. With "vertical align" I meant wether the text is aligned to the top, bottom or middle of the box while the letters stay horizontal.

Thanks,
Janis

janise March 5th, 2004 04:12 AM

So, what I want is not to change the direction of the text (left-to-right, right-to-left, top-to-bottom, or bottom-to-top), but the alignment of the text (like to the right, in the center, to the left, [u]to the top, in the middle, to the bottom</u>).

Can someone help me, please?

Thanks,
Janis

SerranoG March 5th, 2004 09:05 AM

Oh, OK... you don't want to rotate the text 90°. You want to keep it normal, you just want the text to be positioned either at the top, center, or bottom of a tall label or textbox.

No, there's no way to automatically vertically align text that I know of. Access assumes that if you want to position text vertically, you would just move the entire label or textbox to the position you wanted. So instead of specifying center align to a 3-inch tall label, you have a normal height label and you just click and drag it so the text is approx. 1½ inches from the top and bottom of your 3-inch area.

Barring doing that, the only way to manually position text in a tall label is to click the label once so your cursor is inside the label, place your cursor before the desired text, and move it down by using SHIFT+ENTER until the text is in the middle.

Greg Serrano

janise March 5th, 2004 09:53 AM

OK, thanks for the info! :)

Unfortunately, the solution won't really help in this case, as text in the specific box in my report can be either in one row or two rows. So, I cannot align it manually.

Thanks, anyways. :)
Janis

BethMoffitt March 5th, 2004 10:15 AM

There is a property, just like you see for this dialog box and word, and excel, and just about anything else, to use for aligning text Left, Right, Center or General. On the properties sheet for the text box, click on the Format tab and then scroll down to 'Text Align'. You will see the four options in the drop-down once you click in the field.

Regards,

Beth M

SerranoG March 5th, 2004 10:17 AM

Yes, but that's for horizontal text alignment, not vertical.

Greg Serrano

BethMoffitt March 5th, 2004 10:20 AM

picky, picky :D