p2p.wrox.com Forums

p2p.wrox.com Forums (http://p2p.wrox.com/index.php)
-   SQL Server DTS (http://p2p.wrox.com/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Scheduled DTS package does not work (http://p2p.wrox.com/showthread.php?t=13419)

niravp May 25th, 2004 05:00 PM

Scheduled DTS package does not work

I have an ActiveX script that moves data from one table to another and writes a flat file from second table to a remote server. When I execute the DTS package manually it works fine. However, when I schedule this package to execute on a specific time of the day, the flat file creation part fails but the task runs successfully--data gets moved and appropriated flags put in place.

I wonder why the same package works flawlessly when executed manually but fails to work the same way when it is scheduled. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Nirav

hortoristic May 25th, 2004 05:26 PM

Remember when you run manually - despite opening the package from another server even, the package is running under your security and is running off of your instance of SQL Server. Also; any drive referances should use UNC's not letters - as drive 'F' to you may not be drive 'F' to SQL agent.

Department of Labor and Industries
Voice (360) 902-5928 fax (360) 902-6200

niravp May 25th, 2004 05:43 PM

Joe,

Did you mean the remote server to be mapped correctly?

I have defined the flat file location as path = "\\172.00.0.001\dtsfile\"&fileName&".asp"

Does SQL Sever Agent need a write permission to the folder? If so, how would you recognize SQL Server Agent i.e what would be the user id etc.?

Appreciate your help.

Nirav

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by hortoristic
 Remember when you run manually - despite opening the package from another server even, the package is running under your security and is running off of your instance of SQL Server. Also; any drive referances should use UNC's not letters - as drive 'F' to you may not be drive 'F' to SQL agent.

Department of Labor and Industries
Voice (360) 902-5928 fax (360) 902-6200

Hal Levy May 26th, 2004 09:08 AM

Yes, the user the agent runs under needs rights to write to the file system.

You can find the user yours is running under by checking in the services control pannel.

Hal Levy
Web Developer, PDI Inc.

NOT a Wiley/Wrox Employee

niravp May 26th, 2004 11:27 AM

I am new to the SQL Server. How do I get to the services control panel.

Thanks
Nirav

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Hal Levy
 Yes, the user the agent runs under needs rights to write to the file system.

You can find the user yours is running under by checking in the services control pannel.

Hal Levy
Web Developer, PDI Inc.

Hal Levy May 26th, 2004 11:38 AM

Go to contol pannels on the PC.. then select "services".... and that opens up the services control pannel... then you can check there...

Hal Levy
Web Developer, PDI Inc.