p2p.wrox.com Forums

p2p.wrox.com Forums (http://p2p.wrox.com/index.php)
-   BOOK: Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQL Web Development ISBN: 978-0-7645-5744-6 (http://p2p.wrox.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Mysql and Dos (http://p2p.wrox.com/showthread.php?t=16894)

pipdickenz August 15th, 2004 08:26 PM

Mysql and Dos

I'm very confused here, but I'll do my best to describe my problem.

I installed MySQL 4.0.20d on my desktop (XP Home), then deleted it and reinstalled it on the C: drive

Because of this Dos sees the current server installed on C:/Documents and Settings/mr. mojo risin/Desktop/mysql-4.0.20d-win-noinstall/mysql-4.0.20d-win-noinstall/bin/mysqld-nt.exe

So when I do NET START MySQL it says System error 2 has occured The system cannot find the file specified

When I run createmovie.php from chapter 3 pg 98 I get this error

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061) in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\test\createmovie.php on line 4
Hey loser, check your server connection.

How do I fix this? I'm hoping it's as easy as typing some stuff in Dos, but DOS is pretty alien to me. Please Help! Thanks.

codewizard August 16th, 2004 04:03 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by pipdickenz
 I installed MySQL 4.0.20d on my desktop (XP Home), then deleted it and reinstalled it on the C: drive

If you DELETED it, instead of uninstalling it you made a big mistake.

I am assuming you did not actually install TO YOUR DESKTOP, right? What you meant was your PC? and you installed to a drive other than C:, correct?

Quote:

quote:
How do I fix this? I'm hoping it's as easy as typing some stuff in Dos, but DOS is pretty alien to me. Please Help! Thanks.
Do you have a dual boot of XP and DOS? That is the only way you could have DOS on that machine. If you are assuming that DOS rules (or *nix) rules apply to Windows, DON'T!.

You can not just delete folders and expect to have things work.

- First you need to reinstall BACK INTO THE ORIGINAL LOCATION.
- Second you need to uninstall mysql THE CORRECT WAY. (tell me your version, and I can give you the instructions, or you could read the manual pages about it)
- Third reinstall mysql to the location you want.
- Fouth REBOOT

pipdickenz August 16th, 2004 11:26 AM

No unfortunatly I did originally install it on the desktop (as indicated by the path). When I say DOS I mean the comand prompt. And yes it was on the C:/ drive (I don't understand the need or reasons to put it on another drive, but to make it work am I going to have to partition my Hard drive ?) I did uninstall it (as opposed to deleting it). the version I'm using was downloaded as mysql-4.0.20d-win-noinstall. I'll try your advice but I believe I'll end up in the same situation.. Thanks for replying!

codewizard August 23rd, 2004 03:52 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by pipdickenz
 No unfortunatly I did originally install it on the desktop (as indicated by the path).
not necessarily. You could have copied it to your desktop.

Assuming things based upon a little evidence is dangerous. A path proves only that the path exists.

[/quote]
     When I say DOS I mean the comand prompt. And yes it was on the C:/ drive (I don't understand the need or reasons to put it on another drive, but to make it work am I going to have to partition my Hard drive ?)
[/quote]
No.

I have 4 copies of Apache and 4 copies of PHP installed. To keep them straight I installed each pair to a drive of it's own. You don't need to do that.

Quote:

quote:
I did uninstall it (as opposed to deleting it). the version I'm using was downloaded as mysql-4.0.20d-win-noinstall. I'll try your advice but I believe I'll end up in the same situation.. Thanks for replying!
well good luck. let us know the answer.

pipdickenz August 24th, 2004 03:52 PM

I installed then uninstalled the program on the desktop then I installed the install version on the C: drive . Now when I type NET START MYSQL at the command prompt it says system error 1067. I believe that going along the steps to create additional servers could probably fix my problem, but I instead just tried getting a free host ( www.5gigs.com ) All the php has worked, but the server only allows 1 database. from page 96-97 I believe I could just create 1 database (wiley) to store all the info, but as a begginer it's preferable to not deviate from the book.