p2p.wrox.com Forums

p2p.wrox.com Forums (http://p2p.wrox.com/index.php)
-   Classic ASP Basics (http://p2p.wrox.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Online Updation (http://p2p.wrox.com/showthread.php?t=18755)

qazi_nomi September 22nd, 2004 04:29 AM

Online Updation

I want to display the online updation of my pages mean that how can I change my web pages as when I use some CSS on my pages and how can I update that page.

Numan
--------------------------------------------------
Love is the most precious thing of this world. So find it and grab it!

rajanikrishna September 22nd, 2004 04:40 AM

Hello numan,

What do you want to update on the page. Which content or styles? And when you want to update. Any conditions?

-----------
Rajani

qazi_nomi September 22nd, 2004 04:43 AM

Dear Rajani I want to update both contents and style of my webpages using differnt style using CSS and update on almost every month

Numan

madhukp September 22nd, 2004 04:44 AM

Hello Numan,

Could you please word it slightly differently so that we can understand your requirements clearly ?

madhukp September 22nd, 2004 04:49 AM

ok, does the basic layout of the site remain the same always ? Or the layout itself change from month to month ?

Are you using only one css file throughout site ?

If layout remain same and there is only one css, you can apply a basic content management system and store the names of css files for each month in db. Then in session_onstart, you can determine the name of the css file to be used and use it in every page. Or you can have a small piece of script on each page to fetch the name of css file.

qazi_nomi September 22nd, 2004 04:50 AM

I want to just update contents and style of my webpages using differnt style using CSS and update regularly and for this we made again whole web site and upload it again for using so how we can online updation in the site

Numan

rajanikrishna September 22nd, 2004 05:59 AM

Hello,

If you want to change the contents means (thru database/manually)?
If thru database you code some small server side scripting.
And regarding styles, create a CSS file and add to every page using
<LINK href=cssfilename.css" ...>

Whenever you want to update the styles, just change the CSS file.

If this is not your requirement, let me know.

--------
Rajani

qazi_nomi September 22nd, 2004 11:40 PM

Dear I am not using any data base but now I want to use XML or any database. Please tel me which one is suiteable for me as the regular updation in the contents of the website?

Numan

madhukp September 23rd, 2004 12:14 AM

IMO, database is more suitable for content management.

You can use XML also. But you have to decide the methods very clearly. You have to define XML format very clearly and then design parser according to it. In future when the client requirements changes, you may have to modify both XML format and parser.

Using database
--------------
You can have a table for storing the contents of pages. One page may itself have more than one "dynamic" portions. You need one record for each such section. An approx. design for this table will be

PageID primary auto-increment
PageName varchar(50)
DynamicSectionName varchar(50)
Content Text

You need a WYSIWYG editor to help admin users edit the content without the knowledge of HTML. There are many such editors available online.

qazi_nomi September 23rd, 2004 12:24 AM

Dear madhukp tel me that weather it is good to have the whole contents of the page are in data base and when we migrate our technology then does it may difficult to menage both data base and the whole language. But in XML we dont care to use any language. For example if we migrate from windows to Linux with SQL server or MS Access to mysql or sysbase then it make difference in the case of database ?

Numan