p2p.wrox.com Forums

p2p.wrox.com Forums (http://p2p.wrox.com/index.php)
-   Pro Visual Basic 2005 (http://p2p.wrox.com/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Error 80040154 (http://p2p.wrox.com/showthread.php?t=47559)

bpabmeyer September 8th, 2006 08:38 AM

Error 80040154

I am trying to execute a DTS package from my code. If I run it on my local machine it runs fine. If I install it onto another machine, using ClickOnce, I get this error. Before I execute the package, I can actually do a Select query. So, I know that getting to the database is not an issue. In the application files, inside the publishing tab, I set the Interop.DTS.dll file set to Include(Auto) as required. I also have the Copy Local set to true on the References tab. Any help anyone can give will most definitely be appreciated. Thanks.

BrianWren September 8th, 2006 10:21 AM

I really don't understand why people post error [u]numbers</u> (as if the people providing help have memorized eighty million error numbers!), but withhold the [u]text</u> of the error (like "File not Found," "Column not Found in Collection," etc.).

Would you be so kind as to tell us what the error is? (The [u]text</u> of the error, that is?)

bpabmeyer September 8th, 2006 10:43 AM

The error displayed is "Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {guid} failed due to error 80040154. First post, sorry for the inconvenience.

BrianWren September 8th, 2006 11:20 AM

Is this a web application?

Regarding the error text:
    I guess you really couldn't have done much different than you did (though the rest of the error text does help to establish context).
    Apparently even Microsoft is reluctant to tell us what the story is, falling back on using just numbers.
    It’s like that ridiculous error message we get when a file can't be found, "File not found." For crying out loud! [u]What</u> file?!? I mean: the OS was just looking for it—by name; would it be [u]so</u> hard for MS to have caused the error message to include the name of the file it was just looking for?
    This irritates me so much that in my code, when I am opening anything, I [u]always</u> add an error handler that actually adds the name of the sought-after resource. (Sorry, just a side rant...)

bpabmeyer September 8th, 2006 12:29 PM

Its not a web app, its just a standard windows application. I know, in regards to the side rant, it ticks me off also. I am completely lost on this issue, as is everyone else I work with.

dparsons September 13th, 2006 01:06 PM

I found this on Experts Exchange, similiar situation:

You can try using the "depends" tool (Forgive me, the file path is where it resides in VS2003, though it should be similiar in 05)

The tool can be found here: (You may need to install the VC++ tools)
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\Tools\Bin

Open the COM dll in that utility and it will tell you want all dependecies it has. Anything that shows up with RED will indicate that the referenced binary could not be found or does not exists.

"The one language all programmers understand is profanity."

nrocks May 30th, 2007 10:44 AM

This has some thing maybe even remotely to with 64 bit isnt it?