p2p.wrox.com Forums

p2p.wrox.com Forums (http://p2p.wrox.com/index.php)
-   BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX ISBN: 978-0-470-11283-0 (http://p2p.wrox.com/forumdisplay.php?f=343)
-   -   SQL Server? (http://p2p.wrox.com/showthread.php?t=60399)

Seabhacre July 23rd, 2007 12:32 PM

SQL Server?
 
I got as far as page 17 before my learning came to a screeching halt.
Seems that I need SQL Server 2005 in order to use this book. Before buying the book I reviewed the "What You Need to Use this Book" section of the Introduction to confirm that I had everything needed. No Problem. But, when I reached the "Creating a Database to Manage Users and Roles" it failed due to the an in-ablilty to connect to SQL Server. I had SQL Server 2000 installed and have had many years of success using it with VS6, and VS03. I tried using the aspnet_sqlreg.exe utility but it failed to connect as well. Do I need to install SQL Server 2005? If so, then what of the 2000 Servers. Also, which edition, Standard, Developer, or Enterprise (tried this on and only go client stuff). Any help in this would be cool.



seabhacre

glav July 24th, 2007 07:14 AM

The aspnet_regsql utility works with 2000 as well and have used it many times on 2000 before. Can you provide more detail around the connection problem you had when using it?

- Glav

Seabhacre July 24th, 2007 08:00 AM

-glav
Thanks for the reply.

Since my original post I continued to dig, fight, and scrape my way to a solution. Although I found many answers, none worked for my setup. However, I did find a solution and am now (as I type this) into section "Creating a Data Access Layer". My solution:

I upgraded from 2000 to 2005 Dev, needed doing anyway...

I manually created a copy of the ASPNetDB.mdf file in the App_Data folder, Created with aspnet_regsql.exe utility that came with '05 Dev.

I had no problem creating a connection to it in using Server Explorer, but the ASP.Net Configuration tool still failed. This lead me to verify all connection strings.

I discovered that the Configuration tool used the CS from machine.config so I changed the connection strings data source = localhost.

This didn't work but I did get a different error message which helped track down a small tidbit on MSDN that stated that the User Instance setting in the machine.config connection string, when set to true, caused the SQLConnectionHelper to treat the data source as SQLEXPRESS no matter what it is set to in the data source parameter.

I changed the User Interface parameter to false, and Walla Walla, it worked.

Thanks again and wish me luck with the rest of the book...

 -- SeabhacRe



seabhacre


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.