p2p.wrox.com Forums

p2p.wrox.com Forums (http://p2p.wrox.com/index.php)
-   BOOK Beginning Expression Web ISBN: 978-0-470-07315-5 (http://p2p.wrox.com/forumdisplay.php?f=306)
-   -   Chapter Three (http://p2p.wrox.com/showthread.php?t=60486)

jmasloff July 25th, 2007 10:50 AM

Chapter Three

I am hoping to use your book as a guideline to creating a syllabus for teaching web design at a high school in Massachusetts.

Just some background--I am not new to computers. I have a Masters degree in Computer Science, was in the industry for 20 years and have taught computers at the college level for 15 years and at the public school level for 4. So, I am no novice to computers.

I am finding that the files for download for Chapter Three do not match the book. There is an Assets folder as described and an Images folder as described but no Files folder as described. There are HMTL files under the the _vti_cnf directory that are designated as HTML files but it seems these should be under the Files directory and not the _vti_cnf directory (main, aboutus,contactus, default, solutions, support).

In any case, the downloads for this Chapter 3 do not match the book and without any pictures of what this should look like I am somewhat up a creek. Can you help?

Thanks,
Jackie

zakruvalcaba July 25th, 2007 11:44 AM

There shouldn't be a Files folder? Can you tell me what page exactly I make reference to a Files folder? Assets and Images yes...but I don't recall a Files folder.

jmasloff July 25th, 2007 12:12 PM

The third paragraph on page 64 of Chapter 3 says:

"Now that you have a basic understanding of how folders and files are created within the Folder List Task Pane, let’s add the content that you’ll use throughout some of these introductory chapters. Once you’ve downloaded the chapter files and opened the folder within Windows Explorer, you’ll immediately notice the text file, fourteen image files, and two Web pages that the Files folder contains. These are the elements that you’ll be adding to the Vecta Corp Web site for use within this chapter."

That's from the book. In any case, in my downloads, those HTML files that you show in Fig 3-6,aboutus is in the _vti_cnf directory and main does not exist. I cannot create Figure 3-6.

Thanks,
Jackie

zakruvalcaba July 25th, 2007 04:16 PM

Can you send me an email directly and I can send you the files. I'll also make sure that the publisher has the updated files for the download site. Email is zak@modulemedia.com.

bcbasslet February 10th, 2008 06:26 PM

chapter 3 page 61; creating a new website is very difficult. the files _vti* are not created. If i follow the instructions verbatim, i keep getting an error message 'file vectra corp cannot be opened. it has a \ or a / in the name'...
When the author says 'browse', i don't know which app he is referring to. Does he mean in EW or in WE?

front page expert

cyn October 29th, 2008 01:52 PM

I, too, am having problems finding all the downloads. For the life of me, I cannot locate main.htm that is supposed to be in the Chap 3 downloads. I am running Vista. help anyone?