p2p.wrox.com Forums

p2p.wrox.com Forums (http://p2p.wrox.com/index.php)
-   BOOK: ASP.NET 4 Website Programming Problem Design Solution (http://p2p.wrox.com/forumdisplay.php?f=540)
-   -   Now open: ASP.NET 4.0 Problem - Design - Solution EAP (http://p2p.wrox.com/showthread.php?t=77761)

yevi January 21st, 2010 08:53 AM

Wow great news!
I am looking forward to buy this book!

Is there a publishing date?

Lee Dumond January 21st, 2010 10:27 AM

To bhe published later this year, sometime toward Fall.

yevi January 22nd, 2010 05:32 AM

What new techniques are you going to show in this book?

Lee Dumond January 22nd, 2010 01:04 PM

I hope to get most of the new ASP.NET 4 stuff in -- routing, ViewState optimization, ClientIDMode, Charting, new template features ofr rich controls, the new Menu control, the new Web Deployment model, etc.

You'll see a lot of C# 4.0 stuff in there too, along with quite a lot of LINQ to Objects and LINQ to Entities, and most of the new EF 4 features.

There will be extensive use of jQuery, both for DOM manipulation, and showing its usefullness an a client-side AJAX library.

I haven't really decided if I'm gonna use ASMX or WCF for services yet.

There are some other goodies thrown in there too. I show how to roll your own theme system that let's you associate client-side script with themes (that can be totally different on a theme-by-theme basis). There will also be a really extensive Administration module that will dig way into the Configuration API, and will let you do things like alter custom configuration attributes online.

Really just scratching the surface here though. [:)]

yevi January 23rd, 2010 04:44 AM

I have a feeling that this book will be a bestseller.
Can't wait :)

kiwibrit February 18th, 2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briandre (Post 250933)
I hope it will be in C#, as in the previous edition by Marco Bellinaso......

Why the preference for C#?

Lee Dumond February 18th, 2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwibrit (Post 253775)
Why the preference for C#?

Most (non-beginner) .NET programming books are written in C#, aren't they?

As far as the audience for this book goes, I believe C# is by far the preferred language.

kiwibrit February 18th, 2010 05:16 PM

Mm. I have a nagging feeling I am going to have to switch - which is a bit of a bind. When I migrated (for the most part) from php, I did a mental flip of the coin and went for Visual Basic - perhaps harking back to dim college memories long ago. I am still in fairly early stages of asp.net - but already I am beginning to think I goofed.

Lee Dumond February 18th, 2010 06:25 PM

I wouldn't necessarily say you goofed at all. [:)] Competent devs make it a point to learn both.

That being said, I really think that in order to progress beyond the beginning stages, you need to learn C#. That isn't because C# is a more "legitimate" language or that it has more or better features. It is because C# is the language that advanced devs communicate in, and is the language that most non-beginner books and tutorials are written in.

Most of the documentation on MSDN is included in both VB and C#. You wouldn't have any problems there. However, once you venture out beyond that area, VB code examples are very hard to come by. It would be like an English speaker asking for directons in Tokyo. It might be a long time before you find anything you understand and make use of.

C# is not that hard. In fact, I think it's easier than VB -- it's more concise and to the point, whthout all the End this and End that. Bite the bullet and spend a week or two and learn it; it'll be the best thing you ever did for your career.

Web June 15th, 2011 05:26 AM

Whats happened to the book ?

Hi,
I just checked out of interest to see if there existed yet an updated version of the ASP.Net Website problem design solution series of books. What's happened to the proposed 4.0 version ? - is it still going ahead ?

Over the years I've bought them all, though must admit the last one, 3.5, fell short of my expectations after the excellent 2.0 book. Amongst other gripes I found the switch from presenting the code in c# to vb particularly frustrating, and was happy to read that you intend to write the next one using c#. I'd really like to see more about newer features available including windows identity foundation if possible. Most of my work is in creating company intranet sites with some public access sites so it would be good to have some thought given to that aspect rather than purely public.