p2p.wrox.com Forums

p2p.wrox.com Forums (http://p2p.wrox.com/index.php)
-   BOOK: Beginning HTML, XHTML, CSS, and JavaScript (http://p2p.wrox.com/forumdisplay.php?f=541)
-   -   Help with website (http://p2p.wrox.com/showthread.php?t=78927)

andypandyrox456 April 8th, 2010 08:25 PM

Help with website

Hello everyone!
I would like to create a website, but I need some help with the code.
Please note that I don't want to use frames.
On the left I will be putting some links. This will take up very little space.
Each time you click on a link, a page will open on the rest of the screen space.
How can I do this/can someone provide me with a sample code?
Also, please note that I will be having a banner at the top of my page which will stretch across the full width of the page - both the left and the right. Thanks!

andypandyrox456 April 9th, 2010 09:07 AM

Can anyone please help?

chroniclemaster1 April 14th, 2010 01:45 PM

The best way to deal with this is simply to use one generalized page structure for the entire site which includes a customizable content section. Then modify the content portion of the page for the purpose of each specific page. When you download the first page of the site, it needs to take time to draw in the CSS / JS files and all the images in the generalized template. The second page they visit (and ever page thereafter) already have all this material and only need to load any new files or images on the new page (ie stuff which wasn't already on the first). This makes the page appear to load much more quickly and can even beat AJAX in some cases because it doesn't require any scripting.

Otherwise, if you are trying to retrieve just a portion of a page and update it into a file, you have to use AJAX. Just keep in mind that this is significantly more complicated, and worse, you destroy your ability to use the forward and back buttons on the browser the way you'd expect. AJAX is really cool, but there are problems which is why I'd only resort to it as a backup choice if you can't use a template.

andypandyrox456 April 15th, 2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chroniclemaster1 (Post 256519)
The best way to deal with this is simply to use one generalized page structure for the entire site which includes a customizable content section. Then modify the content portion of the page for the purpose of each specific page. When you download the first page of the site, it needs to take time to draw in the CSS / JS files and all the images in the generalized template. The second page they visit (and ever page thereafter) already have all this material and only need to load any new files or images on the new page (ie stuff which wasn't already on the first). This makes the page appear to load much more quickly and can even beat AJAX in some cases because it doesn't require any scripting.

Otherwise, if you are trying to retrieve just a portion of a page and update it into a file, you have to use AJAX. Just keep in mind that this is significantly more complicated, and worse, you destroy your ability to use the forward and back buttons on the browser the way you'd expect. AJAX is really cool, but there are problems which is why I'd only resort to it as a backup choice if you can't use a template.

I know perfectly well about templates.
My questoin was different, but I believe i found the answer.

chroniclemaster1 April 23rd, 2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andypandyrox456 (Post 256611)
I know perfectly well about templates.
My questoin was different, but I believe i found the answer.

I'm sorry I couldn't help more, but glad you figured it out. I mentioned the templating option only because it is generally stronger and more robust unless you have really specific application requirements that make it impossible, in which case you need to use AJAX.

andypandyrox456 April 25th, 2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chroniclemaster1 (Post 257031)
I'm sorry I couldn't help more, but glad you figured it out. I mentioned the templating option only because it is generally stronger and more robust unless you have really specific application requirements that make it impossible, in which case you need to use AJAX.

No it's ok. I realized I could just split the website into divs.