p2p.wrox.com Forums

p2p.wrox.com Forums (http://p2p.wrox.com/index.php)
-   BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB (http://p2p.wrox.com/forumdisplay.php?f=560)
-   -   Ch12 pg 406-407 (Try it Out)access db within VWD (http://p2p.wrox.com/showthread.php?t=80620)

martycom August 21st, 2010 11:14 PM

Ch12 pg 406-407 (Try it Out)access db within VWD

Vista 64 bit, modify permissions and others are set

I get "Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user interface." when I dbl click PlanetWrox.mdf in VWD database explorer. I have worked through ch19 and appendix B as best I could, but have not been able to get around this problem.

There are a lot of older messages/replies in forums on other sites for the same error message as above. These are for 2005 VWD, suggesting "local" problems/mismatch and to remove older user instances by deleting a SQLExpress folder with files, under a path not available in Windows Vista.
I not sure what else to include here.

Imar August 22nd, 2010 04:49 AM

Hi there,

A couple of things to test / check:

1. Which version of SQL Sevrer are you using? Use "SQL Server Configuration Manager" from the start menu to find out

2. What's the name of your SQL Instance?

3. What happens when you create a brand new web site, add App_Data and a SQL Server databae and open that. Does that work?

4. Are you trying this out with your own database, or with one from the download?

5. Can you log in using SQL Server Management Studio?

Cheers,

Imar

martycom August 22nd, 2010 11:28 AM

Ch12 pg 406-407 (Try it Out)access db within VWD Reply to Thread

Hi Imar,
[}:)]
1. Which version of SQL Server are you using? Use "SQL Server Configuration Manager" from the start menu to find out. MS SQL Server 2008 R2
2. What's the name of your SQL Instance? I guess the Server Browser should not be in stopped state.
Name State Start Mode
SQL Server Browser Stopped Other
SQl Server(SQLEXPRESS) Running Automatic
SQL Server Agent(SQLEXPRESS) Stopped Other

Server .SQLExpress connected as MARTY-PC\MARTY

3. What happens when you create a brand new web site, add App_Data and a SQL Server database and open that. Does that work? (App_Data folder was automatically created on new.) I dragged the book download PlanetWrox. mdf file in , doubled clicked it, and got the same error message.

4. Are you trying this out with your own database, or with one from the download?

5. Can you log in using SQL Server Management Studio?
Yes! I have 2 registered server names: ./SQLExpress and MARTY-PC\SQLExpress Both connections tested ok using Windows Authentication.

Imar August 22nd, 2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

I dragged the book download PlanetWrox. mdf file in , doubled clicked it, and got the same error message.
But can you try it out with a new database? E.g. create a brand new site, right-click App_Data, choose Add New Item and then add a SQL database. Then trying adding a table. Does that work?

Quote:

I guess the Server Browser should not be in stopped state.
It doesn't have to run. It broadcasts the existence of SQL on the network, but you don't need it if you know its instance name.

Cheers,

Imar

Imar August 22nd, 2010 12:11 PM

BTW, have you tried emptying the folder uded by SQL? It's probably not located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\SQLEXPRESS.

but here:

C:\Users\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\SQLEXPRESS.

on Vista.

If not, try searching for SQLExpress folders under your Users folder...

Cheers,

Imar

martycom August 23rd, 2010 02:06 PM

[BegASP.NET4] Ch12 pg 406-407 (Try it Out)access db within VWD

BTW, have you tried emptying the folder uded by SQL? It's probably not located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\SQLEXPRESS.

but here:

C:\Users\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\SQLEXPRESS.

on Vista.

The above path does not show up in (Vista) Windows Explorer. After doing a search for SQLEXPRESS folder in the C: Drive, in the explorer, I found the folder as a shortcut. Double clicking the shortcut, then changed the folders presented under Desktop to

USERNAME\AppData\Local\ Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\SQLEXPRESS. It was amazing to see all the new folders in the path showing up and expanded.

After I deleted the files in this folder I was finally able to see the database and all its files under the project Data Connections.

Thanks! Imar

Imar August 24th, 2010 04:37 PM

Excellent, glad it's working and thanks for the follow up.

Is USERNAME the actual name of the folder or does it represent some user on your system?

Imar