p2p.wrox.com Forums

p2p.wrox.com Forums (http://p2p.wrox.com/index.php)
-   BOOK: Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010 (http://p2p.wrox.com/forumdisplay.php?f=569)
-   -   Where to obtain software for Ivor Horton's Book--Beginning Visual C++ 2010 (http://p2p.wrox.com/showthread.php?t=80715)

kennygc August 28th, 2010 08:08 PM

Where to obtain software for Ivor Horton's Book--Beginning Visual C++ 2010

I just completed an online course in which MS Visual C++ 2010 Express Edition was used. To continue my study of this subject I purchased Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010.

Horton says that the Express Edition is not adequate for this book. I will need a version of Visual C++ 2010 (or Visual Studio 2010) that supports Microsoft Foundation Classes to use this book properly.

I have searched the net, talked to many vendors including Microsoft "certified technicians". I have been unable to get a clear answer on specific software that will satisfy the required conditions for using this book.

The most plausibly advice received is I must get the full version (no upgrade) of Visual Studio 2010 which retails for over $800.00.

If someone can help me identify the specific software needed I will greatly appreciate it. PS:I have recently been having trouble with downloads due to connectivity problems. If there is a source where I could get the required software on CD that would be best.

At this point I will appreciate any guidance provided. Thanks in advance.

RTShaw August 29th, 2010 06:49 PM

lost most control of my fingers, body, have constant spasms & tremors (post-polio) now throat Cancer ,so pleaqe bear with me, it hurts like hell 2 type or move(but i ain't dead yet doggitt!)

kennygc
I am wondering myself about the actual cost and where2 buy it at its most reasonable price.
didn't mean 2 step on yout toes or hijack your queston. so please forgive me if i was suppose 2 ask another way.

kennygc August 29th, 2010 09:30 PM

Locate S/W for Ivor Horton's Beginning VC++ 2010

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTShaw (Post 262580)
lost most control of my fingers, body, have constant spasms & tremors (post-polio) now throat Cancer ,so pleaqe bear with me, it hurts like hell 2 type or move(but i ain't dead yet doggitt!)

kennygc
I am wondering myself about the actual cost and where2 buy it at its most reasonable price.
didn't mean 2 step on yout toes or hijack your queston. so please forgive me if i was suppose 2 ask another way.

Don't worry about stepping on any toes. I have been trying for so long to find affordable (usable) software to use for learning C++ I am thankful for any guidance or directions. Having taken a course in which I used Visual C++ 2010 Express Edition, I am just trying to continue with similar software adequate for Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010.

Thx

kellyannkellyann January 12th, 2011 05:08 PM

Way late for this answer

I am way late in providing this response, but for future users who may have the same question. If you are a student you can download the complete version of Visual Studio 2010 professional from www.dreamspark.com. All you need to do is register your student email address and you are good to go. Note you want the professional version NOT the express version. With the professional version you should be able to do all the examples provided in the book. Hope this is useful to someone even though it is a bit late for the original poster.

kennygc January 19th, 2011 02:05 PM

Software for Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010

Thanks Kellyanne.

I am not a student so I eventually went to Microsoft Store and bought the professional version of MS Visual C++ 2010 (very expensive).

There are so many adds that are very misleading--most are upgrades but the adds are not at all clear about that.

The SW is very good and Horton's book is first rate. You can read a few pages and recognize that the author is very careful about the clarity of his language and avoids the terminological sloppiness often encountered in technical writing.

When you study independently, as I must, you appreciate this level of care in conceptual precision and addition of complementary exposition exactly where needed.

The code provided on this site is very useful and saves me a lot of time.

Thanks to all...