p2p.wrox.com Forums

p2p.wrox.com Forums (http://p2p.wrox.com/index.php)
-   BOOK: Stephens' C# Programming with Visual Studio 2010 24-Hour Trainer (http://p2p.wrox.com/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Exercise 1.5 (http://p2p.wrox.com/showthread.php?t=81055)

TallThunda September 25th, 2010 07:17 PM

Exercise 1.5

Hello,

FYI I have visual studio 2010 express.

In order to try out the icon editor you said go to project menu and select new item. From there, select general category and then onto icon file.

The problem is once I am on the select new item dialog box, there is no "general category" option, neither am I seeing any "icon file" option.

Please let me know how I can pull up the icon editor, or is that only in the pro edition?

thanks

Rod Stephens September 26th, 2010 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmm... It's possible that I'm wrong about that. You used Project > Add New Item, right, and not File > New Project or something?

If you select the root category that says "Visual C# Items," it should list every file type that it knows about. If you can't find it in there, then it's possible I was wrong about this.

You could also try adding an existing icon file to the program (Project > Add Existing Item) and it might be able to edit the file even if it can't add a new one.

Let me know how it turns out.

Rod

TallThunda September 26th, 2010 02:44 PM

Thanks Rod. Turns out, you can only create icon files if you have the professional edition. I got the pro edition today thanks to the dreamspark program. One of the few perks of being a student :)

Rod Stephens September 26th, 2010 04:05 PM

Bummer! (About not being able to create them from the Express Edition, not about getting the Pro Edition ;-)

I still wonder if you can edit them in the Express Edition. Then you could just copy one and edit it.

Not that the integrated editor is all that great. There are probably lots of tools floating around that do a better job.

TallThunda September 26th, 2010 07:36 PM

haha, yes, I am happy :)

Actually, yes you can edit in the express edition. I was able to import the icon file from chapter 1 solutions. The only problem is, it is not a legitimate editor. Express opens up paint (boo).
And, yes I actually found quite a few editors online...

andrasdorko March 27th, 2011 04:25 PM

Hi!

My name is Andy...

I am unable to edit any .ico file with the Express edition of Visual C# 2010 as well.
Adding icon file only works when I try to add it as "Add Existing Item"...

But the question is Am I going to be able to use it after if the software unable to edit it...?
I didn't get any further in the book yet due to lack of time...

Thanks,
Andy

Rod Stephens March 29th, 2011 09:48 AM

Sorry, it looks like the Express edition can't edit those. If you google around a bit, you can find lots of icon editors including some that are free and fairly useful. (More useful than the one built into the other editions of Visual Studio.)

A program can use files that Visual Studio cannot edit, though. For example, you can set a form's Icon property to an icon file and it will display it at run time.

Allan2013 May 27th, 2013 04:37 PM

Icon editor missing from Visual C# 2010 Express edition

If anyone sees this thread in the future, keep in mind that the screenshots and some of the steps used in the book are from the full version of Visual Studio (e.g. Figure 1-7) and so if you get stuck there can be some mismatching between the book's full Visual Studio and your Express version. In these cases you can just Google it and you'll just learn more about Visual Studio in the process.

e.g. For exercise 1.3 on page 17 the Task List doesn't show by default in Express so you'd need to customize your menu item by going to Tools > Customize to add it.