p2p.wrox.com Forums

p2p.wrox.com Forums (http://p2p.wrox.com/index.php)
-   BOOK: Professional Android 4 Application Development (http://p2p.wrox.com/forumdisplay.php?f=685)
-   -   Professional Android 4 Application Development Questions on Stack Overflow (http://p2p.wrox.com/showthread.php?t=87235)

Reto April 12th, 2012 01:45 PM

Professional Android 4 Application Development Questions on Stack Overflow

I spend a lot of my time over at Stack Overflow answering Android development questions. They've got a great community and tools for answering programming questions.

I'm going to be following these forums closely, and will try and answer all your questions in a timely manner, but I'd also like to try and move some of the more technical discussion over to Stack Overflow.

So: If you have a programming question related to the book, please post it to Stack Overflow and add a "PA4AD" tag to the question so I'll be notified straight away.

Feel free to post to the forum here as well, including a link to the Stack Overflow question.

This is definitely an experiment, so let me know what you think.

Bill Stockton September 21st, 2012 01:50 PM

No PA4AD tag at Stack Overflow

I tried to post a message on Stack Overflow that your New Horrizon app (that I downloaded from Google Play) crashes on my Google Nexus 7. However I was not able to add the PA4AD tag to the message since I am new to Stack Overflow.

Thanks for your help.

Also since I am new to programming with Android, what is the fix that you need to make in order to get your New Horizon app working on Google Nexus 7?

As a new Android programmer it is a little disappointing that even expert (professionals) programmer have problems with Android apps on different devices. I was hoping for better compatibility but should have known better.

DanaGibson January 5th, 2013 07:16 PM

Where should I post this? Android Dev ?

I have purchased a Galaxy Tab 2 for use in testing apps that I develope. It is not possible to specify it as a target because the OS is 4.0.4. Is there an update I don't know about to 4.2? Or a way to use it as a target that I don't know?
I'm admonished to post in the correct Forum, but it isn't obvious which Forum that would be.
Please help.
Dana

DanaGibson January 8th, 2013 11:49 AM

Thanks for the help....oops, didn't get any

Well, here I am replying to myself again. It's very frustrating finding still another forum to talk to myself in.

DanaGibson January 8th, 2013 11:50 AM

On the positive side

Look at all these cute smilies and icons. That makes it worthwhile....NOT.

uler3161 January 8th, 2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaGibson (Post 288646)
I have purchased a Galaxy Tab 2 for use in testing apps that I develope. It is not possible to specify it as a target because the OS is 4.0.4. Is there an update I don't know about to 4.2? Or a way to use it as a target that I don't know?
I'm admonished to post in the correct Forum, but it isn't obvious which Forum that would be.
Please help.
Dana

I tried posting earlier, but it apparently ate my post after I edited it...

Hopefully this doesn't sound too sarcastic, but did you read the original post in this thread at all? It has a link to Stack Overflow.

DanaGibson January 8th, 2013 04:07 PM

No sarcasm there....or help

uler3161:

It's not a matter of sarcasm. It's just like everything else I see in the android Community: It's not helpful.

I've looked in Stack Overflow....no help. I'll look again....you never know.

I've probably gotten myself excommunicated for this blasphmy....so be it.

Dana

uler3161 January 8th, 2013 04:20 PM

You seem to be pretty irritated for some reason. This doesn't seem to have anything to do with the Android community. You have a programming question and Stack Overflow is one of the best places to get programming help. As with any forum, you search for the answer. If you don't find it, you can ask. Doesn't matter if it's Android, Java, C, SQL, etc. This just happens to be about Android.

For instance, This seems to suggest a solution for your problem. If that isn't enough information, then either ask another question or reply to that thread. It's really not complicated.

DanaGibson January 8th, 2013 04:33 PM

No PA4AD tag

As Bill Stockton correctly says:
The tag "PA4AD" doesn't exist and if you don't have enough "experience" you can't create a new tag.

Reto:
Create the tag!!!!
Dana

uler3161 January 8th, 2013 04:45 PM

You're right that someone (perhaps Reto) should have created the tag. But I don't think your question is specific to the book. It's more of a generic android question, so you might just want to use the android tag.

Maybe the book should have covered this situation, but I'm not sure if any book does.