p2p.wrox.com Forums

p2p.wrox.com Forums (http://p2p.wrox.com/index.php)
-   BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB (http://p2p.wrox.com/forumdisplay.php?f=710)
-   -   SQL problems, chapter 12 (http://p2p.wrox.com/showthread.php?t=89715)

mikeyw March 27th, 2013 04:39 PM

SQL problems, chapter 12

I get the following error when I try to open up folders/files in the Planetwrox.mdf folder:

"Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdf.Sfc Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKey Token=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. "

I was progressing nicely through the book but this has stumped me & I cannot do any database stuff.

Can anyone advise on how to resolve this? Thanks

Imar March 27th, 2013 04:44 PM

Sounds like a broken installation of SQL Server. Are you sure you're adding an MDF file? Sdf seems to suggest SQL Server compact.

Imar

mikeyw March 27th, 2013 05:09 PM

SQL error Chapter 12

I have moved Planetwrox.mdf to Database Explorer. Its at that point that I cannot open up the folders e.g. Tables in Database explorer and get that error when I try.

So should I reinstall SQl server? If so can you suggest a link. I tried to do that from Microsoft website so may have not done it properly.

Thanks

Imar March 27th, 2013 05:28 PM

Hi there,

See page 424 and further for more info on installing Local DB and/or SQL Server Express.

Cheers,

Imar

mikeyw April 1st, 2013 09:17 AM

Another query

Thanks Imar for previous advice.

I downloaded SQL Server 2008 R2. SQL Server 2008 would not download successfully.

I managed to progress further through chapter 12. However I am now doing the Creating Tables exercise later in chapter 12 and when I try to Add New Table in the Planet Wrox website I get this message:

"This server version is not supported. Only servers up to Microsoft SQL Server 2008 are supported".

Are you able to advise me on getting round this problem?

Thanks

Thermopyle April 1st, 2013 09:53 AM

What version of VS are you using?

mikeyw April 1st, 2013 10:14 AM

I am using Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010 Express.

My PC is using Windows 7.

I can access database tables, having done SQL queries on PlanetWrox.mdf files
earlier in chapter 12 - these having been already created for users of the book.

What I cannot do now is create new tables when I am in my Planet Wrox website.

Imar April 2nd, 2013 03:59 AM

Hi there,

Did you post in the right forum? This book deals with Visual Studio 2012 and SQL Server 2012. However, you mention Visual Studio 2010 and SQL Server 2008.

If you have the ASP.NET 4 version of the book, you need other page references for installing the required sofware.

>> What I cannot do now is create new tables when I am in my Planet Wrox website.

That seems to suggest you're using SQL 2012 under the hood? A lot of the functionality can no longer be access directly in Visual Studio. Instead, you need to use SQL Server Management Studio to create tables and the like.

Cheers,

Imar

mikeyw April 2nd, 2013 03:48 PM

Sorry, I should be on the ASP.NET 4 forum.

Anyway, I am still struggling to add new tables in VWD.

I have downloaded SQL Server Management studio.

Yes I have SQL Server 2012 as well as SQL Server 2008 R2 on my PC. the former because I have used Visual Studio 2012 as I have been trying to learn C#

Imar April 3rd, 2013 03:02 AM

It sounds like you're still using SQL Server 2012 as there are limitations as the type of objects you can create and manage from within VS for that version of SQL Server.

What are the names of your SQL Server instances and versions? Is .\Express SQL 2008 or 2012? Also, in VS, what do you have under Tool | Options | Database Tools | Data Connections | SQL Server Instance Name?

If it keeps failing, just SQ: Server Management Studio to manage the tables.

Imar