p2p.wrox.com Forums

p2p.wrox.com Forums (http://p2p.wrox.com/index.php)
-   BOOK: Stephens' Visual Basic Programming 24-Hour Trainer (http://p2p.wrox.com/forumdisplay.php?f=621)
-   -   Difficulty opening the book's files (http://p2p.wrox.com/showthread.php?t=92664)

shabnamzangeneh April 16th, 2014 08:47 PM

Difficulty opening the book's files

I have visual basic 2008 express and I can do all the exercises but I cannot open any of the book's downloaded files. It gives me the error message that:
The selected file is a solution file, but was created by a newer version of this application and cannot be opened!

Appreciate your help!

Rod Stephens April 16th, 2014 10:42 PM

Unfortunately that's the way Visual Studio behaves. It's backward compatible (so you can open old files with newer versions), but it's not forward compatible (so you can't open newer files with older versions).

One trick that often works is to create a new VB 2008 project and remove Form1 from it. Then use the Project menu's Add Existing Item command to select the VB 2012 program's forms and modules and add them to the VB 2008 project.

You can also open the VB 2012 source files in a text editor and copy and paste into a new project.

Of course you can also install a newer version of Visual Basic:

That would make using the examples easier.

I hope that helps.

shabnamzangeneh April 17th, 2014 12:31 AM

Thanks for your reply. The text editor option worked for example 1.

mcgahern June 8th, 2014 11:36 PM

"Missing Files" in download projects

I downloaded Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Basic as described in the book (p. xxxviii). I downloaded the book examples. When I open a project (double clicking on the project file to launch VS), I get several errors that files cannot be found (Form1.Designer.vb, Application.Designer.vb, and others). They are clearly in the folders. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any help.

Rod Stephens June 9th, 2014 10:14 AM

Usually this means you didn't unzip the files. If you just download the zip files, Windows Explorer can open them and navigate as if they were unzipped and part of the normal file system. Visual Studio, however, cannot understand how to use the zipped files so it gives all sorts of unhelpful error messages similar to these.

Right-click on the zip files and select Extract All to extract the files and put them in the normal directory structure. Then you should be able to double-click on the .sln files to open the projects.

Let me know if that works.

mcgahern June 10th, 2014 01:46 PM

Thanks much! Silly me. All works fine now. BYW-great book. Easy to follow and learn from.

Rod Stephens June 11th, 2014 09:43 AM

This is probably the mist common problem people have. The only silly thing is that Visual Studio gives such unhelpful error messages.

Quote:

BYW-great book. Easy to follow and learn from.
Thanks! post a review when you have a chance!

And post again if you have other questions.