Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning PHP 6, Apache, MySQL 6 Web Development ISBN: 9780470391143
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning PHP 6, Apache, MySQL 6 Web Development by Timothy Boronczyk, Elizabeth Naramore, Jason Gerner, Yann Le Scouarnec, Jeremy Stolz; ISBN: 9780470391143
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning PHP 6, Apache, MySQL 6 Web Development ISBN: 9780470391143 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old May 28th, 2010, 02:46 PM

Default Can't Even Get Apache Installed Properly

Hi,

I've just purchased this book, according to the early parts it claims to be aimed at the newbie, I have good understanding of XHTML and CSS so this book seemed perfect.
Well, 7 hours after starting this I'm actually further back than when I started, I initially installed Apache, got the test page confirming 'This Works!' and thats when it all started to go wrong ..I installed PHP using the method described in the book , did it install?? no idea!! I certainly pulled a zip file from a site ( first one didnt include a libmysql.dll file so had to do that twice) done all the line editing as told, bearing in mind as far as I'm concerned all I did was edit a text file and copy a .DLL file to my windows32 folder, is that an install ?? is that being run?? Anyway, I then added the lines to the Apache file in the config and I was allegedly ready to go, only all I got was requested operation failed or something, I searched online for a couple of hours where I read about checking error file logs..So What!! I'm a newbie I might as well have been reading the Koran..what the hell with all this!! in the end I decided to try and do a clean install and wiped Apache from my computer, I couldnt un-install PHP since it wasnt showing up as installed despite me doing exactly as directed in the book so I just deleted its folder, removed all the new paths I'd created and went with that. So I've just re installed Apache and now I can't even get the test page to work...I'm ready to explode here. Should I just do a system restore?? Is there anybody here??

Last edited by Kelsey; May 28th, 2010 at 02:48 PM.