View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:07 PM
Friend of Wrox

Well...
I am just starting to put together a web site to address exactly the issues you are asking about - a site about WHAT to learn, and WHERE to get the tutorials, books, etc.

However, I just started it last week and I only have a small amount of info there. I plan on adding an article or two each week, and a book review or two each week for the next year or so.

The link to it is in my signature below.

I'll try to answer a few things here:
A lot of the job postings for "Entry Level" developers list numerous technologies and skills, but that is just a wish list. If a person had all those skills, they wouldn't be entry level. So I say don't worry too much about what they are asking - just apply for the job and get the interview based on the strengh of your schooling. If you get the interview, just do your best.

Depending on what part of the world you are in, there are lots of jobs for developers. I am in the USA, and in Southern California, so the market is very strong. In a market like this, there are plenty of entry level jobs.

Web stuff continues to be strong, so that is a good choice for you to continue to study. XML is a good thing to know as part of your skillset. I would definately be learning some server-side skill: ASP.NET, ASP, PHP, JSP or something like that. This basic HTML, CSS, Javascript, Xml, plus a server side techonology, you will have a good start.

Well... I could go on and on.

Woody Z http://www.learntoprogramnow.com