View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Wrox Staff
Points: 18,803, Level: 59 Points: 18,803, Level: 59 Points: 18,803, Level: 59
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Scorp: This was a pretty unusual situation. Essentially what happened was "old" Wrox's owners went bankrupt (receivership) in 2003. The old employees showed up one day and their jobs were gone.
A receiver/liquidator took over to sell off their assets. We bought the name, the best-selling books at the time, the web sites, etc.
What we didn't anticipate was that after that, the receiver/liquidator would sell the rights and inventory to the remaining older books and books that didn't sell as well to another publisher.
We initially attempted to distribute the code to all the old books, thinking it was in everyone's best interest, and were quickly told to stop by the other publisher. Unfortunately for us and for "Wrox" customers, whether you'd already bought the book or found it a week or 7 years later in a bargain bin, it still said "come to Wrox and get the code."
I don't know why the other publisher stopped distributing the code for the books they bought. I know they had a server crash at one point and when their code pages came back, that particular code was no longer there.
So yes, you nailed it when you said our hands are tied. And you're absolutely right that there's a huge VB6 community (as just one example) where the 10 year old books are just as useful today as they were 10 years ago. And we can't do anything to help.
What I do think we've done is the best job possible supporting the Wrox books we bought and the new Wrox books we've published in the last 7 years. I hope that's enough but I know that for some people it won't be.