View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2003, 05:22 AM
Authorized User

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hal Levy
The Lyris server was at a co-location facility and the machine was leased.
The Lyris machine was most definitely located at Wrox's offices in Arden House, up to and for at least a couple of weeks after the closure of Wrox. I visited the building over a week after the redundancies and the machine was still there.

As for the leasing issue, as far as I was aware that particular machine was wholly owned by Wrox (unlike a number of desktop machines in the same building), though there was an issue with unpaid rent for Arden House and the remaining machines may have been sent to auction to pay off this debt.

Quote:
The source code for the web interface was completely lost- since there was no employees at "classic wrox" no one could provide it- and it was not downloaded off the co-located server before it was repossessed.
Where did http://p2p.wrox.com/archive/ come from, then? Wiley seem to have an intact copy of that. In fact, I can prove that some of the code for the web interface still exists; visit Google and search for "p2p.wrox.com xslt archive". The first hit will be "p2p.wrox.com/archive/xslt/2001-09/76.asp", if you click through from Google to that page you will receive an error at line 114 in /include/header.asp. This is because of a referrer check that I coded to try and encourage people who found the archive via Google to subscribe; it adds a couple of extra lines to the top of each page. If Wiley have the whole of /archive and /include/header.asp (and also, I guess, /include/footer.asp and a few related other files), why don't they have the rest of the web interface? The bulk of the work was done by only a handful of files located in the web root.

Incidentally, someone at Wiley might want to dig into /include/header.asp and fix that bug. From what I remember of the old web stats, at least 25% of the hits we received in the archive were referred from Google, and that error won't be giving people a good impression ;)

Quote:
Wrox had done some heavy modification to the Lyris system - not even considering the front end. There was no source code for this as it is/was in the hands of classic wrox employees that are unknown.
We didn't make any "heavy modification" to Lyris itself; it was a pretty much bog-standard install of Lyris/PostgreSQL running on Debian 3.0. The only non-standard extra we installed was a Perl script that stripped HTML from incoming email (incidentally, you might want to use a similar script in the new email system?)

As for the "unknown wrox employees", they are myself, Dan Walker and Stephen Biggerstaff. We're all registered on this new forum, and I at least offered my services to Wiley regarding P2P by private email a while back. I heard nothing whatsoever from them, though.

Quote:
Wiley was faced with a decision- How do we get P2P up QUICKLY- It had been offline already for too long! Well, Lyris was going to cost a lot of money, require lots of resources, and take a long time to put up.
Wiley could have spoken to me, I'd have been more than willing to help. I really didn't want to see P2P disappear off the face of the 'net, seeing as I'd worked on it for over two years, but nobody bothered to get in touch with me.

Quote:
SO here we are- with Snitz and there's no way that's changing.
Fair enough, that's Wiley's business decision to make. I'm still convinced it's the wrong decision, and that you won't attract the number of active, consistently good posters that we used to see in the old days of P2P. Having said that, I'm prepared to be proven wrong, though :)