View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2003, 06:12 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 3,489, Level: 24 Points: 3,489, Level: 24 Points: 3,489, Level: 24
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Daniel Walker
If there's mail coming [i]from[/] a server, then it's coming from a mail listserver. So, you can:
a) write one yourself
b) use one you buy
c) use the one we bought
[quote]quote:

Dan, as you know, Snitz sends e-mail already built into the package. It does not have a method of receiving e-mail and turning it into a post on the forum. So it isn't a "listserver" in the true sense of the word. It's, in my opinion, a web based forum with e-mail notification.

Quote:
quote:
Well, unless it was moved in the last days at Wrox (quite possible, I suppose, although Stephen Biggerstaff would be the man to ask about that), I know that (as an ex-"classic" Wrox employee) the listerver machine was a big black Dell Poweredge 4100 that sat sideways-on at the end of the shelf in the server room inside Arden house. The webserver was a Dell Dimension T550 that sat beside it running Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Both machines and the software they ran were wholely owned by Wrox - at least at some time in or around Jan/Feb.
This is different than I was told by the people at Wiley. The technical people (James and Bruce) told me the information that I have passed on here. So the question becomes - Did the liquidators not give them everything they paid for? Did they sell the hardware out from under Wiley? Or did Wiley leave some parts out of the discussion I had with them?

Quote:
quote:
Stephen Biggerstaff would know what exactly happened to the listserver. Dave Long bult the web interface. I can probably provide a contact address, if I get in contact with him first, to ask if he's interested in helping. Furthermore, there was a blue folder with documentation in it, with printouts of the ASP source code.
Now, if it was up to me (and it's not, I don't even get to sit in on their meetings) if all the source code and the archives and all that are really available then I would be looking into switching back.

Personally, in that case, I would propose that this forum stay up in it's current form- and the web front end (which, I am told, needed reboots daily) be re-developed and in this way the front end would be built upon Lyris. Personally I think it much easier to build a web front end on the server than the other way around.

However, it's not up to me...

[quote]
I know a decision seems to have been made to not use this option, but it seems a shame to dismantle what was running and maintaining 40 000 active subscriptions, for want of not knowing which machines have the source code on them. The Lyris licence might not have been the latest version (you have Wiley talking to you directly about that, so I can only accept that this was so), but I know a Platinum licence was bought for it last Autumn - a licence for the SQL-based modern Lyris, which Wrox did pay for.
{/quote]

It seems like there's information that (at this time) all I can say is unknown to the guys at Wiley. I would hope if they had all the information (and got all of it from the liquidators) that they were told- however they might not have been.

Quote:
What's more, if classic Wrox employees told you the P2P webserver needed rebooting every day, they were mistaken. Anyone who was using this site in the last days will tell you that the lists continued running for at least a week after the closure - as Mike Kay and others commented at the time.
Yes, I do know it ran for a while after the liquidation was announced- however, SOMEONE rebooted it a few times in that period, because there were outages during the weeks following the announcement and the web site returned. A simple AT job could reboot the webserver nightly, however, with no employees needed.

Quote:
there are ex-Wrox, ex-glasshaus, ex-FoED employees who may well try to help, if all it takes is to identify which machines were which and where to find stuff. It's probably too late, now, though.
Personally, I don't know that they got any machine to work with. I know James and Bruce were working remotely on the machines- I think wiley didn't get things like physical machines.... Only the contents and then they had to grab them remotely. However, I will leave that to them to comment on- as I don't really know... If your information is correct, it seems like quite a bit of value was lost when the transition took place. Value that didn't have to be lost.

Hal Levy
NOT a Wiley/Wrox Employee- Got a job for me?