View Single Post
Old June 25th, 2003, 06:03 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 3,489, Level: 24 Points: 3,489, Level: 24 Points: 3,489, Level: 24
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Daniel Walker

Lastly, (and this is merely a tongue-in-cheek observation and is not intended as a parthian shot, I hope you understand) it is perhaps unwise to advertise the fact that a computer programming publisher has "nothing but windows servers", has "no Linux experience", "no PostgreSQL experience", et cetera :).
It's not my company.... I assume the authors have some experience with those things :)

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David Long
I'm wondering whether, between us, we could do this on our own, if Wiley don't want to implement such a thing... hosting/bandwidth costs are the only real problem here, using free software would take care of most of the actual work involved. Pete Aylward from Friends of ED kept the FoED forums running after the collapse of Wrox, and now Apress seem to be working with him in carrying them on in the same format - see http://friendsofed.infopop.net/
Before Wiley got Wrox and when I was considering possibly bidding on some stuff (that idea lasted 2 minutes) I wrote to APRESS about it (Specifically about P2P) and they seemed to have interest in it- but since it's here, I'd like to try to work on this. The reason is it has lots of "attention". Plenty of people with good intentions and good skills are out there and they are making mailing lists- however none have their URL in so many books....

As for the topic of the thread :) - I like the idea of adding some kind of code (perhaps in the headers? Or with a custom reply-to address?) That includes this "reply" code that will not only tie the thread together but provide authentication. Like the Listserv(tm) product does. it can also go in the subject- since it's not used in the reply's here... So we have a potential solution to the REPLY issue I think.

Hal Levy
NOT a Wiley/Wrox Employee- Got a job for me?