Who's to blame? W8 or touch panel?
Hello. Searching for a solution I stumbled upon you guys.
Trying to run a database in a newly acquired W8.1 tablet caused it to malfunction.
Hx (if I remember correctly as this goes back many years): I originally set up the database in a WinXp Pro PC with Access 2002. Essentially a customer database. In the "main" form there are
(a) switchboard items (names, addresses, phone numbers, etc) from/updating the "main" table
(b) per customer subform with purchases, charges, salesman, payments, comments per purchase, showing in a separate text box on the main form
(c) buttons opening other tables or forms and running queries
(1) lookup combo box on main form to bring up each customer's info. Entering last name, autocompletes and on "enter" brings up customer's data. Instead on "enter" cursor goes to next box...
(2) Buttons: nthng works. I get "The expression On Click you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: A problem occurred while Microsoft Access was communicating with the OLE server or ActiveX Control." However, opening the respective forms directly from the forms list works normally. Before pressing the "enable content" permission on the yellow warning ribbon, no error message come up, but nthng happens (as if I pressed nthng, except for the dotted outline just inside the button showing that I did indeed press it).
(3) Outstanding orders value (delivery date in future) total in a text box on the main form works OK.
(4) Total potentially due (delivered + outstanding) does not work (instead of amount it says "#Name?").
(5) Balance due (delivered - paid for) works fine.
(6) "Age" text box also reads "#Name?". DateDiff between first order and current date in yrs. However, it reports "age" normally when first opening database and before pressing the "enable content" permission on the yellow warning ribbon.
(7) In each sale entry in the sales subform there is a "remarks" field which can only be edited from within the form (or sales table), but for visibility reasons content is displayed in a text box on the main form
Database was originally *.mdb (2002) and has had functionality added to it over the years (probably in Access 2007 and certainly Access 2010). After these issues also tried saving as *.accdb.
Either way it works normally on desktops:
WinXP Pro Access 2010 (older Access versions no longer available)
WinXP Pro Access 2010 laptop
Win7 Ultimate 64 Access 2010
Database does all of the above (exactly identical behavior) on touch screen tablet:
Win8.1 Home 32 Access 2010 *.mdb or *.accdb
Win8.1 Home 32 Access 2013 *.mdb or *.accdb
Win8.1 Home 32 - WinXP Pro virtual machine Access 2010 *.mdb or *.accdb
I tried another database I had set up too many years ago (in fact the problematic one might have been originally based on that one) with only switchboard items (essentially a form based on a table). The lookup combo box works just fine on the tablet (I type a few letters, it autocompletes, I press enter and I am taken to the respective customer's data, or I drop down the list, click on the customer I need and he comes up). All this only works after I "Enable Content" on the yellow warning ribbon. Before that the combo box does not work.
I believe this pretty much sums up my database saga. Hope someone has had the patience to read the whole thing.
Last edited by Georg Orig; March 5th, 2014 at 09:47 AM..