Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Web Programming > JavaScript > Ajax
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Ajax the combination of XHTML, CSS, DOM, XML, XSLT, XMLHttpRequest, and JavaScript
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Ajax section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 17th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Friend of Wrox
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Clinton, UT, USA.
Posts: 564
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Error with Netscape and FireFox

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone has faced this problem before and solved it... I've been pulling my hair out for a couple of days.

I have a webpage that has a number of divs on it... For each div I have set up an XmlHttpRequestObject that is called when the div is displayed, and retieves an XML stream from another page. It works fine in IE, but when I try this in FireFox, 1 of the tabs gives a wierd error, while the rest look fine.

The error is:

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80040111
(NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE) [nsIXMLHttpRequest.status]" nsresult: "0x80040111
(NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)" location: "JS frame ::

I have checked the page which send the XML stream, and it seems to return a properly formatted XML doc. The error is occuring on the line where I check to ensure that the status of the request in 200.

Anyone have any ideas? I read something about using Plain Text for the response instead of XML, but am not sure if that will even work, or how I could implement it.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Mike
EchoVue.com
__________________
Mike
EchoVue.com
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 18th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Friend of Wrox
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Clinton, UT, USA.
Posts: 564
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I finally got this figured out last night... It was a combination of my own stupidity and what I understand is a feature in firebug.

In case anyone else ever runs into something like this, here is what I did that broke it.

I changed ideas part way through coding this page, and ended up with a duplicated call to a specific function, which was the one that originally made the call to the page with the XML feed. While IE seems to handle this kind of thing well, it appears that FireFox somehow got confused between the duplicated call, and returned 0 as the status on the XMLHttpRequest object.

This then combined with something in Firebug to give an error that had something to do with an object not being initialized and loaded. I ended up working back from the last problem to the first, which would seem contrary to my usual methodology, but worked out in this case.

Hopefully that will help anyone who might face similar problem.

Mike

Mike
EchoVue.com


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Positioning Problem in Firefox and Netscape echovue Javascript 3 April 13th, 2007 08:39 AM
Firefox javascript error akkad Ajax 2 November 27th, 2006 10:57 AM
Trouble rendering form in firefox and netscape vic02 ASP.NET 2.0 Professional 0 March 21st, 2006 01:46 PM
redirect netscape 4.7 to netscape 7.1 trangd Beginning PHP 10 January 15th, 2004 04:30 PM





Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2020 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.