Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > ASP.NET and ASP > ASP.NET 1.0 and 1.1 > ASP.NET 1.1
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
ASP.NET 1.1 As of 10/6/2005, this forum is locked as part of the reorganization described here: http://p2p.wrox.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35394. No posts have been deleted. Open ongoing discussions from the last week have been moved to either ASP.NET 1.0 and 1.1 Beginners http://p2p.wrox.com/asp-net-1-0-1-1-basics-60/ or ASP.NET 1.0 and 1.1 Professional. http://p2p.wrox.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=50. See my sticky post inside for more.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the ASP.NET 1.1 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old March 11th, 2005, 04:05 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to madhukp
Default catching the database exceptions

I am about to start the design & development of a fairly big ASP.Net application with SQL Server 2000. There are many a number of entities, relationship between entities, constraints and complex data integrity rules.

I would like to depend on database features for ensuring data integrity. That is by using check constraints, unique constraints, foreign key constraints, triggers and the nullable property of fields, I will set all the data integrity rules in the database. I would like to avoid any explicit ASP.Net validations in aspx / cs / http handler files. Instead, I want to catch the db errors and show appropriate error messages. It should be possible to show appropriate error message (Not just showing "some error in the submitted data etc. etc.").

My doubt is, whether this is possible ? If yes, how can I do it ?

NB : Previously, I was checking all posted data with either validator controls or server side ASP.Net. This is very difficult and not maintainable also. Each validation change requires integrity rule changes at database level as well as code changes. I would like to get rid of script level data validations.

Thanks

Madhu
Old March 11th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 4,332, Level: 27 Points: 4,332, Level: 27 Points: 4,332, Level: 27
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

You can do this using Try...Catch statements. See the help files for specifics.
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to alyeng2000

For sql2000

Try
Catch e as SqlClient.SqlException
Finally
End Try

Ahmed Ali
Software Developer
Old March 12th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to madhukp

Thank you Benson and Ahmed. I am trying this now and seems to be possible.