Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB 6 Visual Basic 6 > Beginning VB 6
|
Beginning VB 6 For coders who are new to Visual Basic, working in VB version 6 (not .NET).
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Beginning VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old March 23rd, 2005, 11:01 AM

Send a message via MSN to haji_mb Send a message via Yahoo to haji_mb
Default Permission Denied while creating dll

Hi, I have created a dll in VB6 and am using it in the ASP page,
If I change the code and make the dll again, the dll is replaced but If I run the ASP page in the browser and then try to make the dll there is an error raised saying
"Permission Denied :[filename]" and when i try to delete the dll it says
"Cannot delete [filename]: There has been a sharing violation
The source or destination file may be in use"
Please tell me what to do, why is this happening?
Please help.

With regards
Haji Muffadal

Old March 23rd, 2005, 01:49 PM
Friend of Wrox

When you run the ASP, the .dll is loaded into memory, and you cannot change it till that is no longer true.

If you stop the internet server you should be able to overwrite the .dll

If you run the application from within the IDE you won't have this problem.
You can start the component without necessarily running the browser by setting Project|<Prj-name>Properties|Debugging: Wait for component to be created.
This way the dll will start under the auspices of the IDE, but an independent browser can runn it. You can put break points in the IDE at any time, and the next call to that location with the BP will stop the IDE.
When you stop the IDE, the component can again be overwritten.