Wrox Programmer Forums
|
Beginning VB 6 For coders who are new to Visual Basic, working in VB version 6 (not .NET).
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Beginning VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old April 5th, 2005, 04:19 AM
Authorized User

Default VB xml Programming

Hi All
I've got a financial app that i'm writting and use a microsoft access database but find the updates to access somewhat slower.

Can someone please point me to a site where i can find info on how to use xml with vb, i.e. when the user makes an invoice how should i use it with xml and then later update to access.

Regards
Helga

Helga Anagnostopoulos

Old April 5th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Friend of Wrox

Access doesn't really play all that well with XML. If you are going to do updates of Access where the new information is stored as XML, you are going to have to “roll your own” XML parsing code... (You might be able to find something on the web that someone else has written though.)

Since you are working with a limited set of operations (I presume), you will only need a limited set of XML handling routines.

But really, unless you need to use this XML for some other purpose additionally, you would probably be much better advised to save your invoice data in one of the formats that Access reads natively.

1) A small Access DB that just holds the day’s transactions.
    2) A comma-delimited file
    3) A fixed-length field file

Then you could use Access’ built in ability to read that sort of file when updating the main Access db.

Old April 10th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Authorized User

Hi Brian

thanks for your reply. quess i'll have to do with what i've got:-)

Helga Anagnostopoulos