Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB 6 Visual Basic 6 > Beginning VB 6
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Beginning VB 6 For coders who are new to Visual Basic, working in VB version 6 (not .NET).
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Beginning VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 7th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Default Linked Dropdown Lists

I am tryin to have 2 in-cell dropdown lists in an excel worksheet.
The list displayed in the 2nd dropdown is dependent on the value selected in the 1st one. Also, there should be the option for user input other than the listed items.
The first dropdown is working fine, and I have clumsily linked the second list to the 1st one by means of a macro triggered by a flag value stored in another cell. But Im sure there is another better way to do this either in Excel or VB. Can anyone help me? Thanks

Old June 8th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Authorized User

*laughs* Actually, I just overcame a problem very similar to this. You'll be wanting to use a Database to accomplish this most like. At least it seems the most logical approach to me. Dropdown list 1 tells Dropdown list 2 what to access.

So If DDL1 was -

Fish
Dog
Cat

And DDL2 would list (if fish were chosen)

Salmon
Trout
Catfish

Then one way to do it is to have a database that has the Fields: Category listing 'Fish Dog Cat' as its records; Fish (Listing the fish choices); Dog (Listing the Dog Choices); and Cat (listing the Cat Choices)

If that makes any sense to you at all, I or someone else can explain/give the code to make it happen. (And if someone else has a better idea, I'm more than happy to learn :) )