Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Beginning VB 6 For coders who are new to Visual Basic, working in VB version 6 (not .NET).
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Beginning VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
Old September 20th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Authorized User

Send a message via ICQ to vb_programmer Send a message via Yahoo to vb_programmer
Default Help with using DLLs in VB

Hello to All Forum Members ;

I need to know one thing ...

Is it possible to use a DLL which can't be registered with RegSvr ?? If yes can you please tell me How can I use it with VB ?

I have one DLL downloaded from Net which is used for PNG and MNG image creation. When I tried to register it with RegSvr , it said "Failed to fine DLLRegisterServer functon in <DLL file Path>"

What does it mean ?? Can't I use such DLLs with VB ?? I have three such DLLs downloaded from Internet Websites , before this , I've never used such DLLs in VB. I know only one way of using DLL ... setting Reference from VB IDE.

Please help me to learn how to use such DLLs with VB ??

Waiting for your valuable response ...

Ruturaj.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 02:42 AM
Friend of Wrox

Hi Ruturaj,

You need a Declare statement for each exported function in the dll. That statement tells VB where to find the DLL, and what are the data types of the parameters and return value.

If you can give an example of one of the functions you wish to call, I can show you what the Declare should look like.

rgds
Phil
Old September 23rd, 2003, 05:39 PM
Friend of Wrox

VB can only use COM Dlls. The other dlls cannot be used by referencing them. However, you can declare functions from these Dlls (such as is done for windows APIs). Talk to the manufacturer of the dll. What Dll is it?

Yehuda