Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Beginning VB 6 For coders who are new to Visual Basic, working in VB version 6 (not .NET).
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Beginning VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old June 27th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via ICQ to dpkbahuguna Send a message via MSN to dpkbahuguna Send a message via Yahoo to dpkbahuguna
Default close client's application

Hi all !!!

can someone tell me how can I close any application in client system..
   I mean I have to close the Internet Explorer of client's system in a particular time.
   how will I do that...

thanks In Advance !!

DPK..

Old June 28th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Friend of Wrox

You can't.

The internet paradigm is one of protecting users from being controlled from the web.

You might be able to close the browser with window.close, but this will at best give the user the message "This window is trying to close. Do you want to allow that to happen?", and at worst will do nothing.

Applications other than the instance of the web browser runing the web page with the closing code are completely off limits. (As I understand it.)

Old June 29th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via ICQ to dpkbahuguna Send a message via MSN to dpkbahuguna Send a message via Yahoo to dpkbahuguna

thanks for your reply Mr. BrianWren..

Can u tell me pls how can I use at least window.close.
I much needed it...

Thanks in advance....

DPK..

Old June 29th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Friend of Wrox

In the <script></script> section of your web document invoke window.close. There are many ways to invoke that code. You can, (for instance), put a function in, and then invoke that function in a button's onclick event.

Old June 29th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Friend of Wrox

But I have to make Visual Basic Programe.

DPK..

Old June 30th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Friend of Wrox

window.close is part of the document model of the web page. I suspect the object and the method are the same.