Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB 6 Visual Basic 6 > Beginning VB 6
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Beginning VB 6 For coders who are new to Visual Basic, working in VB version 6 (not .NET).
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Beginning VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
Old August 19th, 2006, 12:30 PM

Default Data type mismatch -- Combo box bound to database

Hi,

I have a combo box that I've bound to a field in my database. The field is an autonumber. I want to show the corresponding record associated with the number when it is selected in the combo box. I want The corresponding records to appear in textboxes automatically...

I get a Data type mismatch:

Private Sub Combo1_GotFocus()
   cn.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Path & ";Persist Security Info=Fals"
   cn.Open

rs.Open "SELECT * FROM tblMaterial WHERE MaterialID = '" & Str(Combo1.Text) & "' ;", cn, adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic

With orders
        .qty1 = rs.Fields(1)
        .desc1 = rs.Fields(2)
        .price1 = rs.Fields(3)
    End With

rs.Close

I dont know if the str(combo1.txt) in my query is allowed at all. But the query highlights as the error when I try to select an item in my combo box. Also, I'm unsure wether I should use combo1_Change or the one above which is combo1_Getfocus functions for me to get the effect that I want.

my combo1 is bound to the column MaterialId in the table tblMaterial. It is an autonumber in my access database. I'm just a newbie at this and I really dont know if this is the right approach. what am I doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance
:)

Old August 21st, 2006, 02:50 PM
Friend of Wrox

If you use [cod e] (but without the space I included) and its [/cod e] counterpart, your code will be easier to read... 9Makes it fixed pitch)
Code:
Private Sub Combo1_GotFocus()

cn.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
                          "Data Source=" & Path & ";" & _
                          "Persist Security Info=Fals"
    cn.Open

rs.Open "SELECT * " & _
            "FROM   tblMaterial " & _
            "WHERE  MaterialID = '" & Str(Combo1.Text) & "' ;", _
            cn, adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic

With orders
        .qty1 = rs.Fields(1)
        .desc1 = rs.Fields(2)
        .price1 = rs.Fields(3)
    End With

rs.Close
    I think the problem is in your SQL. IDs (like MaterialID) are usually numeric. You encapsulated the results of Str(Combo1.Text) in quotes (shown just below in bold, underlined red):
Code:
    rs.Open "SELECT * " & _
Code:
            "FROM   tblMaterial " & _
            "WHERE  MaterialID = [u]'</u>" & Str(Combo1.Text) & "[u]'</u> ;", _
            That compares the quoted literal string with a number, a type mismatch.
Old September 1st, 2006, 08:36 PM
Authorized User

change this code:
rs.Open "SELECT * " & _
            "FROM tblMaterial " & _
            "WHERE MaterialID = '" & Str(Combo1.Text) & "' ;", _
to:
rs.Open "SELECT * " & _
            "FROM tblMaterial " & _
            "WHERE MaterialID = " & clng(Combo1.Text), _

Note: An auto number is a long integer if you are using Acccess; a BigInt if you are using SQL Server.