Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Beginning VB 6 For coders who are new to Visual Basic, working in VB version 6 (not .NET).
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Beginning VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old March 15th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Friend of Wrox

Default Shell

Can anyone shed light onto why the following doesn't work:

Shell "C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\My Documents\My Program\Test\Test Application v5.mdb"

I moved the target application to a folder, thinking that spaces or length of path might have an effect, but this didn't work either:

Shell "c:\test\test.mdb"

The error that I am getting is "Run-time error 5 : Invalid procedure call or argument"

Yet, the next one does work...

Shell "C:\program files\Microsoft Office 97\Office\MSACCESS.exe"

My conclusion is that you can only SHELL to an EXE ... terrible shame ... can anyone suggest an alternative to SHELL so that I can launch what I like?

Thanks in advance.

(Note: I cannot have references any components that are not standard with Windows, as we are not allowed to run installations to get the finished programs to work - literally copy the EXE to the customer PC and that's it).

[--- UPDATE ---]

Whilst I am still confused about the above, I have found the solution, as follows:

Private Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpOperation As String, ByVal lpFile As String, ByVal lpParameters As String, ByVal lpDirectory As String, ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long

ShellExecute 0, vbNullString, "C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\My Documents\My Program\Test\Test Application v5.mdb", "", "c:\", vbMaximizedFocus

Sean Anderson
Old March 15th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Friend of Wrox

Think about what you are asking. Shell is used to load the contents of an executable file into RAM, and then point the microprocessor’s instruction pointer at the beginning of the part that contains instructions for the microporcessor.

An MDB contains the data that MSAccess.exe can process. The MDB contains [u]no instructions whatsoever for the microprocessor</u>.

A DOC file contains the data that MSWord.exe can process. The DOC contains no instructions whatsoever for the microprocessor, and hence cannot serve as the argument for a Shell statement which requires an "executable" file.

What would you like Shell to do when you use “Shell C:\<Path>\Test Application v5.mdb”?

(The database window is a construct of MSAccess.exe. There is no means in xxx.mdb to present the functionality that the DB Window gives. The same is true of Access’ menu system, reporting, VBA hosting, ad infinitim.)
Old March 15th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 13,255, Level: 49 Points: 13,255, Level: 49 Points: 13,255, Level: 49
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via AIM to dparsons

Brian is quite right. But you could do something like this: (Example using word)

Shell("C:\program files\Microsoft Office\Office11\winword.exe path\to\document", 1)

================================================== =========
Read this if you want to know how to get a correct reply for your question:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
^^Took that from planoie's profile^^
^^Modified text taken from gbianchi profile^^
Technical Editor for: Professional Search Engine Optimization with ASP.NET
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyT...470131470.html
Why can't Programmers, program??
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000781.html
Old March 16th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Friend of Wrox

Because both the application and the file (to be opened) are known; it can be coded where I use lpParameters part of ShellEx.

Just sending an MDB file opens the database in Access with no problems, but as a business we work with three versions of Access (to match customer requirements) and the MDB opens in the last version of Access that you had running, which is very frustrating at times and this now means that I can load the MDB's in the appropriate versions, with:

ShellExecute 0, vbNullString, sAccess97Version, "c:\my97.mdb", "c:\", vbMaximizedFocus
ShellExecute 0, vbNullString, sAccess2000Version, "c:\my2000.mdb", "c:\", vbMaximizedFocus
ShellExecute 0, vbNullString, sAccess2003Version, "c:\my2003.mdb", "c:\", vbMaximizedFocus

Regards,

Sean Anderson