Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB 6 Visual Basic 6 > Beginning VB 6
|
Beginning VB 6 For coders who are new to Visual Basic, working in VB version 6 (not .NET).
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Beginning VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old February 28th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Authorized User

Send a message via AIM to bonkbc Send a message via Yahoo to bonkbc
Default VB 6.0, use form to write to excel (textbox)

Hello everyone,

I've been working unsuccessfully on this issue all week, and I've finally raised the white flag...I need some help.

How can we take textbox data from a visual basic 6.0 form and write it to an excel worksheet once a command button is clicked?

I've gotten close to completing this on my own, here is my code:

Private Sub cmdwrite_Click()

Dim oExcel As Excel.Application
Dim oWB As Excel.Workbook
Dim oWS As Excel.Worksheet

Set oExcel = New Excel.Application
oExcel.Visible = True

Dim oRng1 As Excel.Range
Dim oRng2 As Excel.Range

Set oWB = oExcel.Workbooks.Add
Set oWS = oWB.Worksheets("Sheet1")

Set oRng1 = oWS.Range("A1")

[u]oRng1.Value = Val(txtwrite.Text)</u>

oWB.SaveAs ("writeit.xls")

Cleanup:
Set oWS = Nothing
If Not oWB Is Nothing Then oWB.Close
Set oWB = Nothing
oExcel.Quit
Set oExcel = Nothing
End Sub

Private Sub cmdquit_click()

End

End Sub

The problem I am having, is that a string value entered into the textbox is lost somewhere along the way upon clicking on the command button. The value written to excel is just "0" (the number zero). However, if I enter a number into the textbox, it works just fine. It seems like a data type issue, but I'm not versed enough in VB to know how to reconcile it.

Another strange finding: if I "hard code" a string, instead of using a text box value (see line of code underlined, bold face above), that also works perfectly. This raises doubts that the problem is a data type issue.

Does anyone know what is happening here?? I'm kind of lost, and would appreciate any help at all!!! thank you very much in advance.

-bri

Old February 28th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Friend of Wrox

Hi

Replace

oRng1.Value = Val(txtwrite.Text)

with

oRng1.Value = txtwrite.Text

the Val function returns the numbers contained in a string as a numeric value of appropriate type. If your textbox entry is not numeric, it will return zero

Cheers
Shasur

http://www.dotnetdud.blogspot.com

VBA Tips & Tricks (http://www.vbadud.blogspot.com)

Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:44 AM
Authorized User

Send a message via AIM to bonkbc Send a message via Yahoo to bonkbc

thank you thank you thank you thank you! I can't tell you how much time I wasted unsuccesfully journeying through the internet searching for the answer to my problems!

It worked!