I'm new to VB
(I've done some programming in C#)...
Type of Database being developed:
Access 2003 (Student Grading System: student info, subjects, levels,
classrooms, teachers, indicators and achievements(last 2 is what is evaluated: meaning students either get approval on the indicator or not, and several indicators compound an achievement), etc)
What I'm currently developing:
I'm working on an Access 2003 form to assign indicator approval to a list of students that are part of classroom group. The form should show the following:
1. Text fields: Class, subject, achievement and indicator being graded (done and working)
2. A combolist populated with classrooms according to the class (done and working)
2. a button that would take the classroom selected (from the combolist) and after is clicked, a "table/Grid" with students from that classroom selected (studentID, name, lastname AND a Approval column approval to indicate if the student passed the indicator (check mark) or not (no check mark). This table comes from recordset generated dinamically
3. a button that should update a table with the information from the "table/grid" Once the "table" shows the students who passed (have the check mark on the approval column).
I'm stuck on number 2:
WHAT I HAVE:
I have the recorset ready with the info I need (studentID, name, lastname and approval) with some sample records to work with. (this record set gest generated and populated fine)
WHAT I DON'T HAVE (PROBLEM):
I need to bind this recordset to some datagrid/datasheet subform that could show the information from the recordset I have ready.
WHAT I HAVE TRIED:
1. I have tried to bind an unbound subform from VB
code but it just wouldnt let me:
me.UnboundSubform.SourceObject = recordset ->> I get an error saying object property not supported or something like that.
2. On some thread I found someone suggests that I need to bind the subform and change the recordsource dinamically from VB
(I couldnt figure out how to do that, as:
Me.UnboundSubform.Form.RecordSource = recordset --->>.. would also give an error
3. another thread suggested to bind the subform to a table and in vb
add the records from the recordset onto the table but the problem is I need to pupulate the table after clicking on the button so the table needs to have records added dinamically. This doesnt happen that way if the subform is bound from the beginning. what I get when I tried this is a subform that shows records as the parentform is loaded and not when the button on the form is clicked.
MY THOUGHTS ON POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS:
1. Is there a datagrid control in Access 2003 or something similar? in VS this would've been the most convenient method to do it.
2. Is there an event I could work with on the subform that I could manipulate so no binding takes place until user clicks the button so records are added dinamically from the recordset generated?
Thanks for your help! (I've been stuck for 2 days already)