Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference ISBN: 978-0-470-04703-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference by Teresa Hennig, Rob Cooper, Geoffrey L. Griffith, Armen Stein; ISBN: 9780470047033
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference ISBN: 978-0-470-04703-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old October 28th, 2010, 12:39 PM

Default Error in Chapter 8

On page 247, the authors (or more likely, the single author of the chapter--I can't imagine that all of them would get this wrong), make a serious error in describing VBA's handling of If tests. They state:

"In fact, in Access VBA any value other than -1 is false, so the value 2 is always false."

This is precisely the opposite of the case. It's correct that testing the value of True will yield -1, but it is much more significant that the value of False is 0. Anything that evaluates to non-zero is treaed as "not False", and therefore True. Try this:

Code:
Sub bar()

If 2 Then
        Debug.Print "Not False"
    Else
        Debug.Print "Not True"
    End If

End Sub
The result that's printed is "Not False".

So the problem with the "horrible example" code is that the "interesting code" will always run, regardless of the value of intOrderStatus, not that it won't run when intOrderStatus is 2.

I'm glad I didn't see this in the bookstore, or I might have left the book behind as "not trustworthy". It's been a big help in other ways.... As an aside that might help one to remember that "not False" takes precedence over "not True", the reason for the value of True is that the literal, bitwise "Not" of the value Integer 0 is the Integer value -1 (stored, as all negative values, as a 2's complement).
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 517, Level: 8 Points: 517, Level: 8 Points: 517, Level: 8
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Thank You!

Hello Roland,

Thank you for the kind comments about the Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference and that the book has helped you. More importantly, thank you for pointing out this error in Chapter 8. I appreciate your time and effort to report this problem and I hope it has not caused you any inconvenience.

It is extremely unfortunate that this text made it into the book and I have added it to the Errata items. Really, this text should have said "Any value other than 0 evaluates to True in VBA." And, I want to let you know that this problem was fixed in the subsequent Access 2010 Programmer's Reference book.

Anyway, thank you again for your note here and please let us know if you find any other errors in the book. We, and all of the other readers out there, really appreciate your efforts here!

Thanks,

Geoffrey L. Griffith
Co-Author for the Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference
http://www.ImagineThought.com

Last edited by gjgriffith; January 31st, 2011 at 01:51 PM..
Old January 31st, 2011, 06:50 PM

Default You're Welcome.

Title just about says it all. Book continues useful.
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 517, Level: 8 Points: 517, Level: 8 Points: 517, Level: 8
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Thanks Again!

Hello RolandTumble,

Thanks for your follow up, I'm glad to hear that the Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference book has continued to be helpful for you. Please feel free to let us know if you have any more questions or comments, we always love to hear from our readers!

Thanks again,

Geoffrey L. Griffith
http://www.ImagineThought.com

Wrox Author of:
Access 2010 24-Hour Trainer
Access 2010 Programmer's Reference
Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference