Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results by Imar Spaanjaars, Paul Wilton, Shawn Livermore; ISBN: 9780471749516
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old April 2nd, 2006, 04:54 PM

Default FileShare Project Not Working

Hi Guys,

I just bought this book yesterday because of the Wrox File Share Project.

I am running XP Pro, .NET Framework 2.0, VWD 2005 and just installed SQL 2005 Express Edition.

FileShare.MSI installation went smoothly - I properly changed the web.config settings as recommended by the book so that it points to my SMTP server. Everything seems to be ok until I received this error message when I called this page locally:http://localhost/fileshare/contentfiles/default.aspx

Failed to update database "C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\FILESHARE\APP_DATA\FILESHAREDB .MDF" because the database is read-only.

Is there any reason for that?

The book authors did not lead us on what to do to exactly ensure the database (.MDF) file works properly.

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks

Old April 3rd, 2006, 12:05 PM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Hi Shawn,

Take a look at chapter 5 - Wrox CMS. Page 162 and onwards tell you how to figure the App_Data folder so the web server process is allowed to access it. Also, make sure the .mdf file is not accidentally marked as read-only.

HtH,

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Beginning Dreamweaver MX / MX 2004
While typing this post, I was listening to: The good and the bad by Sonic Youth (Track 5 from the album: Sonic Youth) What's This?

Old April 4th, 2006, 06:54 AM

Hi Imar
You said >>> "make sure the .mdf file is not accidentally marked as read-only"

Do you mean physically going to the location of the App_Data folder in the wwwroot and check for the Read-only property?
Or did you mean something else?

Thanks

Old April 4th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Wrox Author

Yes, that's what I meant.

The steps described in chapter 5 will help you to setup security for the App_Data folder. That is, the account used by the webserver (ASPNET, Network Service or your own account) needs write permission to the database folder.

However, if security is setup correctly, but the file itself is marked as read-only, you still won't be able to write to the database.

HtH,

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars

Old April 19th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Authorized User

Hi Imar,

As the cms project was not going well i tried the file share project. First of all the start page is not set so I had to set it up - no problem.......When I run this projec the login page shows up, i login as Admin password# and I get the following error:

Server Error in '/FileShare' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Index was outside the bounds of the array.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.]
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ReadColumn(Int 32 i, Boolean setTimeout) +808741
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.GetDateTime(In t32 i) +21
   System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.GetPassw ordWithFormat(String username, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Int32& status, String& password, Int32& passwordFormat, String& passwordSalt, Int32& failedPasswordAttemptCount, Int32& failedPasswordAnswerAttemptCount, Boolean& isApproved, DateTime& lastLoginDate, DateTime& lastActivityDate) +1121
   System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPas sword(String username, String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean failIfNotApproved, String& salt, Int32& passwordFormat) +105
   System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPas sword(String username, String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean failIfNotApproved) +42
   System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.Validate User(String username, String password) +83
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnAuthenticate(Aut henticateEventArgs e) +160
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AttemptLogin() +105
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnBubbleEvent(Obje ct source, EventArgs e) +99
   System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +35
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(Command EventArgs e) +115
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEven t(String eventArgument) +163
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +7
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData) +33
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5102

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42

Old April 26th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Wrox Author

Hi there,

I am not sure if you have already seen this, but here's a thread with an answer to the problem:

http://p2p.wrox.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43148

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
While typing this post, I was listening to: Trilogy by Sonic Youth (Track 12 from the album: Daydream Nation) What's This?