Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results by Imar Spaanjaars, Paul Wilton, Shawn Livermore; ISBN: 9780471749516
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old September 18th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Hi gulfpaddler,

Well, I guess there is some confusion here.... It's not that I don't like your recommendation, it's that I don't know what code you want me to provide.

There's no need for two different code bases for the application. The code that comes with the book runs on Express and other versions of SQL Server without a change.

The only difference is the web.config file and the settings for the services and connection strings. I'll be more than happy to explain how to do this and provide a new web.config file, but I don't think I can do it any better than Scott can do it... The article I linked to explains how to do this step by step. But, if there's something you want me to do let me know.

If you look at some of the posts in the book's forum, you'll see that we do try to help wherever we can, trying to provide the information and help that people need. But, obviously, we can only provide something if we understand what it is that you need.... ;)

So, all in all, if you could detail your recommendation a little further, I am more than happy to help you....

Cheers,

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Beginning Dreamweaver MX / MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.

Old August 3rd, 2008, 01:32 PM
Friend of Wrox

hi you need to change the connection string inside the classes in the app-code folder, wich i don't now how to? does any one know?

bx

Old August 3rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Wrox Author

Eum, aren't we doing this here already? http://p2p.wrox.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=73212

Please don't crosspost; makes things much harder for everyone.

Cheers,

Imar

Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004

Old August 3rd, 2008, 02:07 PM
Friend of Wrox

yes we are

bx

Old August 8th, 2008, 10:08 AM

Hi Imar,
Recently I bought this book and trying to run the "Online Diary" example and got into this issue.
I have VS.NET 2005 and SQL Server 2005 installed in the same system (my laptop).
As it is mentioned here, I have attached a new database to "DIARYDB.MDF" file and changed my connection string in web.config file. I am not sure it is required or not, I have changed the connection strings in all the 4 places in .vb files in app_code folder as it is changed there in web.config file.
Also I have run "aspnet_regsql.exe" on DIARYDB database.
Still I am getting the following error:
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

I am not using any remote SQL Server, I don't understand how to fix this issue.

Do I need to do any thing with the ASPNETDB.MDF available in app_data folder also?

Please reply.

Regards,
PVS

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Imar
 Hi again,

Why would anyone spend $50 if you can get most of SQL Server for free?

Anyway, that's not really the point here. The thing is, there is no "code for SQL Server 2005" and "code for the Express Edition". Switching between the two is a matter of configuration.

The first article I linked to fixes issues with your own databases that run under SQL Server. Did you see / follow the link from that article to the blog post by Scott Guthrie? It explains how to configure the ASP.NET services (like Membership) to work with a real version of SQL Server. You can find the post here: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...25/423703.aspx

Basically, all you need to do comes down to this:

1. Configure a database for ASP.NET 2 services.

2. "Clear" existing connection strings from the config hierarchy

3. Add a new one that points to your server.

That's it. No messing around with machine config, no special code and so on. The article explains in detail what you need to do.

HtH,

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
Author of ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Beginning Dreamweaver MX / MX 2004

Old August 12th, 2008, 02:50 AM

Send a message via ICQ to tinie8642 Send a message via AIM to tinie8642 Send a message via MSN to tinie8642 Send a message via Yahoo to tinie8642

Hi there,

Just wanted to be sure. I did download chapter 11 - greeting cards to explore the codes and learn a little bit about it. all codes and display of this greeting cards website is wonderful except when i tried to send the email. i have configured the smtp mail configuration like the book said but when i debug the website, it show one line of codes that stated the "The specified string is not in the form required for an e-mail address."

I'm using microsoft visual basic 2008 and also the sql server 2005. I'm eager to know what is the main problem of the code since all of the page are wonderfully success except for the email part. I will show the codes below for your references. I'm really wanted to know so that i can continue the studies of this website because i'm doing quite similar web site which allow user to design their own ideas in the web themselve. Hope you can reply and help me.

Dim myMailMessage As New MailMessage()
that is the code in default.aspx.vb page stating "The specified string is not in the form required for an e-mail address." and also "FormatExecption was unhandled by user codes"

Hope to have your reply. Thanks.

p/s : is there any new codes in asp.net 3.5 for the connection string in web.config? I'm having lots of trouble connecting the database.
Thanks.

Regards,
Tinie8642

Motivation is Important! Do not act if you're not sure.

Old August 21st, 2008, 04:17 AM
Wrox Author

Hi vspuni,

Sorry for the late reply; I was away for holidays.

Are you still having problems with this? Where are your databases stored (physically) and how do your connection strings look?

@tinie8642: sounds like you are passing an empty or invalid e-mail address. What exactly are you doing / passing?
BTW: can you start a new thread for a new topic? This one dealt with SQL Server, not e-mail which makes it difficult to track and read for everyone.

Cheers,

Imar

Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004