Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results by Imar Spaanjaars, Paul Wilton, Shawn Livermore; ISBN: 9780471749516
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old July 18th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Default Modifications in Appointment Booking System

I added two columns – roomsetup and avequip in the Appointment table with data type as nvarchar(256)
I have added both these in the wizard steps where the user will choose one value from dropdown. All works fine while booking an appointment. But, when I run the Appointment Details under the Management section, I get the following error

System.IndexOutOfRangeException was unhandled by user code
  Message="roomsetup"
  Source="System.Data"
  StackTrace:
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.FieldNameLookup.GetOrdina l(String fieldName)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.GetOrdinal(Str ing name)
       at AppointmentManagerDB.GetAppointment(Int32 id) in C:\Documents and Settings\mt\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\ConferenceRoom\App_Code\DataAccess\A ppointmentManagerDB.vb:line 97
       at AppointmentManager.GetAppointment(Int32 id) in C:\Documents and Settings\mt\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\ConferenceRoom\App_Code\BusinessLogi c\AppointmentManager.vb:line 31
       at Management_AppointmentDetails.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Documents and Settings\mt\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\ConferenceRoom\Management\Appointmen tDetails.aspx.vb:line 26
       at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

In the Appointment managervb file (in data access folder under AppCode) where it says

Public Shared Function GetAppointment(ByVal id As Integer) As Appointment

I have added

myAppointment.roomsetup = myReader.GetValue(myReader.GetOrdinal("roomsetup") )
myAppointment.avequip = myReader.GetValue(myReader.GetOrdinal("avequip"))

and in the part for
Public Shared Function CreateAppointment(ByVal myAppointment As Appointment) As Boolean

I have added

myCommand.Parameters.AddWithValue("@roomsetup", myAppointment.roomsetup)
  myCommand.Parameters.AddWithValue("@avequip", myAppointment.avequip)

I need help in resolving this. Please let me know what I am missing and /or doing wrong. Am a newbie...so assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Old July 18th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Hi there,

The error message seems to suggest that you are not selecting the column roomsetup in the stored procedure that *selects* the data.

The code you modified for the Parameters collection is about saving the Appointment, not selecting it.

You probably need to add the required fields to sprocAppointmentSelectSIngleItem and SelectList as well.

Hope this helps,

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Beginning Dreamweaver MX / MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.

Old July 18th, 2007, 11:34 AM

Thanks for your response. I had added the following code in sProcAppointmentSelectSingleItem.....is it correct way of doing it?

myAppointment.roomsetup = myReader.GetValue(myReader.GetOrdinal("roomsetup") )
myAppointment.avequip = myReader.GetValue(myReader.GetOrdinal("avequip"))

I still get the same error message...where am i wrong?

Old July 18th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

No, it isn't The code you posted is not from the stored procedure; it's the code that reads the data returned by the stored procedure.

You need to change the select statement *in the database*.

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Beginning Dreamweaver MX / MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.

Old July 18th, 2007, 11:49 AM

Sorry for the stupid questions...Thanks for spelling it out!