Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results by Imar Spaanjaars, Paul Wilton, Shawn Livermore; ISBN: 9780471749516
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old April 18th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Authorized User

Default Application similar to Online Diary

Hi there, having completed the Online diary chapter, I feel that this project is similar to a basic application I want to develop using my own data. This will help me to learn asp.net faster. But I need some help as I am completely new to this and I am not sure what will be the best way of customising the source code to make it fit for my purpose. Is this the right forum to share my simple application details? Perhaps someone can look at it and suggest if there is another book or solution that I should look at first. Hope someone can give me some guidance on this. Thanks. gsrai

Old April 18th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Certainly. We probably won't be able to write any code for you, but we certainly help you choose a direction and make decisions...

You can also try the Beginning ASP.NET or Pro ASP.NET forums as they are more general purpose type of forums....

Cheers,

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.

Old April 19th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Authorized User

Hi Imar, thanks for writing back. The details of a mini project I want to work on is as below. The aim of the application is to capture daily reports submitted by about 25 suppliers. What I need to develop is as below -
• A login page for the users (Suppliers). There is no need for the registeration etc as user will be supplied with a user name and password and if they forget they will have to contact via email or telephone. They will be given a password and not allowed to change etc.
• Once a user has logged in, user will be sent to a page that will allows the user to select one of the options from – Daily report, Update reference table, Performance report. If user selects Daily Report – user be sent to a data input webpage.
• The data input web form that will include some drop down boxes with values that are only relevant to the logged in user. These values will come from a reference table called “Suppliers”.
• Supplier table has these fields – (SupplierID, SupplierName, FlightNo, Destination, Allocation, SchCollectionTime, SchDepartDay, SchDepartTime, SchArrivalDay, SchArrivalTime, Start Date, End Date). The User name is always same as in the field “SupplierName”.
So for example if supplier’s name is BritishAirways, then the FlightNo drop down needs to show all BA flights from the reference table. When user selects a particular a flight number then the Destination, Allocation etc will display items in the drop down lists that are relevant to the selected flight number.
• An example of the select query required to populate data input page will look like this - (SELECT SupplierName, FlightNo, Destination, Allocation, ScheduledCollTime, ScheduledDepartDay, ScheduledDepartTime, ScheduledArrivalDay FROM Suppliers WHERE SupplierName = UserName.Value AND ((Date()) Beteween [Start Date] And [End Date];

• The data input page will include some blank text fields that user will enter some values into to complete the report. These fields are - ActualCollectionTime, ActualDepartDay, ActualDepartTime, ActualArrivalDay, ActualArrivalTime and Comments. I need to use a calendar control for date fields. So that user can select a date rather then manually entering data into a text field. Once the form is complete, user will click on a submit button to send the report that will add a new record to another table called “DailyReport”.
• DailyReport table has all of the fields as on the input form and a field for DateStamp that will input the system date and time when the submit button is clicked. Once data has been submitted, form will be ready for a new record.
• The user should also be able to find a previously submitted data and edit the record.

Hope this all makes sense. I am only working on the first stage of data capturing. Next step will be to create a report from the data captured. Let me know if I need to clarify any of this in more detail.
Many thanks for your help.
gsrai

Old April 19th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Wrox Author

It's all crystal clear.... ;)

You may want to take a look at the Customer Support web site in the book, or at the CMS and WebShop chapters. Also, the appointment booking application may give you some valuable insights.

I am not sure what you expect from me / us here. If you have specific questions or need some help, feel free to post it here or in the other ASP.NET categories here at Wrox.com...

Imar

Imar Spaanjaars
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004

Old April 19th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Authorized User

Thanks again. At least I know that I have clear ideas on what I want and I am on the right track by picking up bits from other projects in your book. I shall get back with any question I may have while working on this. I will follow your advice and go through the chapters you mentioned above. Thank you for your help.
Regards
gsrai

Old April 19th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Wrox Author

You're welcome. Good luck.

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars